Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ultralight portable cpap kit for camping, hiking, motorcycle, snowmachine, rafting
Ultralight portable cpap kit for camping, hiking, motorcycle, snowmachine, rafting
Thought I might share my last year or so of fine tuning my travel kit. I do a lot of winter camping by snowmachine and tent, as well as paddling and hiking trips in the summer.  My dream station was a pain to lug around.  

I’ve figured out a nice little package that just passed my ultimate test, a backpack sheep hunt for 10 days in the Alaska Range were our packs had to be as light as possible.  

The core of my travel kit is a HDM Z1 CPAP.  When traveling I normally run it off a 12v battery with the Z1 12V cord (dual battery plugs into my snowmachine when I’m riding in the winter).  That has a 16” hose that links it to a Fisher and Paykel HC325 humidifier chamber.   From there it’s a normal hose to a nasal mask, and a fleece wrap on the hose.  A little clip on the hose so I can hang the midpoint from the tent or cabin is super handy.  

To keep things light and simple, when camping I bring along two sets of toe warmers for each night, and stick them to the HC325.  Humidification is decent that way.  If backpacking, you can also add warm water from a campstove pot instead of cold to start out.  Wrap the HC325 in an extra jacket at night to help it hold its heat. 

The final piece is a lithium battery from Dakota Lithium. I can get four nights on one 10AH battery, over twice what my Goal Zero Sherpa 100 gives me for roughly the same battery capacity and it’s lighter. Including the battery, this gives me a total kit of under five pounds.  That’s still a big addition when backpacking, but it’s  the best ive come up with.  Battery itself is two pounds, so the rest of the kit is three. 

When I’m traveling and have AC power available, I add the “hot plate” for the HC325 to the kit to have powered humidification.  That is a HC150 for the hot plate kit with chamber.

It’s worth noting that I messed with mufflers, filters, and silencers for the Z1, but when run through the HC325 chamber it might be more quiet than my dream station, so they aren’t needed.  I almost messed that one up last winter on a snowmachine trip with my Dreamstation, I almost left the humidifier part at home to save space.  It’s crazy loud without it, but luckily I left it in thecase and brought it along.  

I think those are the highlights, I do a lot of electrical work so this wasn’t too hard to get all sorted out.  Hope it’s useful!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ultralight portable cpap kit for camping, hiking, motorcycle, snowmachine, rafting
Sounds like a well thought out kit there. And it seems like it meets, at least for now, your criteria. So it sounds like a winner for you.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ultralight portable cpap kit for camping, hiking, motorcycle, snowmachine, rafting
Great combination you’ve worked out there, Dave. Especially the passive humidifier which seems like a very smart way to get the relief without needing the fairly significant power of the heater in most humidifiers. I have wondered whether starting with warm water would be a good shortcut... also interesting that using the humidifier that way cuts the noise down so much.
I’m planning to walk the Camino (CF) in Spain later this year and have decided to take my S9i without the humidifier. I will have to carry whatever I take for a CPAP. The lighter power supply and the reduced weight should be workable. I would prefer to have the humidifier but it adds weight for both the humidifier and the higher current power supply.
Your 10AH lithium battery is quite a find, I have bought 4.2 and 8.4 AH LiFePO4 batteries from Hobby King for portable amateur radio work, I wonder what does that 10AH weigh?
Cheers
Andrew
Post Reply Post Reply
The lithium is 2.2 pounds without it’s shell. I cut the plastic shell off of one and wrapped it in tape to make it as small and light as possible. Saved about 0.5 pounds and is a bit smaller.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you need the humidifier you can also look at the Resmed Air Mini. It uses exhaled breath heat and a gel release to provide humidity rather than heating water, so maybe more compact / less battery.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave, will look at them.
Andrew
Post Reply Post Reply
I am dreaming of going backpacking.......I wonder if you have any updated equipment.....if I am investing in lightweight I might as well get it right.  Thanks for your post!
Constance
P.S. I love AK too.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 625 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  [Equipment] Portable Backup Power for Outages Craige 4 566 10-29-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Craige
  Camping with CPAP - any tips? SuperSleeper 43 7,630 10-16-2023, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 2,999 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger
  Which cable for portable power supply? AndyJay2023 1 658 07-21-2023, 03:34 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  Is there a quiet portable CPAP machine? mcman56 0 461 07-18-2023, 10:02 PM
Last Post: mcman56
  [Equipment] CPAP and Camping Dogberto 2 571 07-16-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Dogberto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.