Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Understanding leaks P30i
Understanding leaks P30i
As a long-time FFM user, I'm trying to transition to pillows. I have lots of leaks, though -- and I've been working under the assumption that I must be mouth breathing. So last night I tried tape. The tape was still securely on by morning, and as far as I could tell it was impossible for me to mouth breathe without popping the tape off. But I still had WAY more leaks than I would expect. When I'm awake I can get a little leak by pulling the pillow out, but it seals right back up as soon as I let go.

Given this screen shot, can anyone explain what you think that P30i is doing that is a leak while I'm asleep?

[attachment=34249]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/myomfdw2x14xjs...M.png?dl=0
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Understanding leaks P30i
I'm thinking that rounded leak pattern will be more of a mouth leak. Are you sure the tape isn't porous or breathable material? I'd also think a Max of 10.x leak rate would be OK for therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a dotted line on the leak graph and all of yours are only half way up. That dotted line is where there is a large leak and yours are not significant and I would not worry about them.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Could it just be slight movement of the mask pillow as you turn over or otherwise shift in your sleep, allowing for small leaks?   (I've also recently been able to - finally! - switch from FFM to nasal pillow or under-nose cushion, and usually have similar small leaks that I assumed were okay; worth it for me to get rid of the FFM anyway...)
Post Reply Post Reply
I find i get leaks on the p30i when i adjust to side sleeping.. sometimes the side of head on the pillow pushes the mask enough to cause a bit of leakage. a little wiggle usually fixes it. but as someone else said, the leak volume isn't that high, so probably nothing to worry about.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your post and drive to attain best numbers brings to mind my wife's complaint I reduce all I can to numbers. An exaggeration, of course, but she has me pegged fairly well. *

In my case it took position curves from an in-sagittal-plane accelerometer (in 2017 or 2018?), on my forehead and then at lumbar 4 to break me of denial about my supine sleep and then correct it until March 2021. At that point, I found I could rely on the cervical collar alone (and a mouth seal) to continue restful sleep, supine or lateral.

My point is that I still live in some denial about leaks, as I'd guess you are doing. I use a very effective mouth seal, but its sealing can vary. The seal (e.g., with unusual drooling or sweating, etc.) can slip down allowing lip leaks for smaller leaks (producing  an E-hooked FR curve a bit like one for palatal prolapse. Shifts of position cause most of my larger leaks, as the accelerometer convinced me. The larger point has been made by others here. It's OK to have some leaks (as I'm sure you do know, despite the now-novel numbers ).

But  more germane to your topic and need to rest easy: At or near March 15, 2021, I quit wearing a comfortable device that absolutely prevented sleep any closer than about 35 degrees off-supine for more than a year. Gradually, with new freedom to sleep supine, I did so more and more. Leaks reduced some and FL rose some. I haven't noticed any change in restfulness of sleep.

The graphic shows my active  profile summary of leak and max FL for 2021 to date.

My OSCAR, SpO2, accelerometer and Dreem 2 are presenting boring data and its information. To find good illustrations of SDB, it is necessary, thankfully, to reach far back. I will be updating and reviewing the sleep charts less frequently and will be skipping more and more days between reviews while sticking to use of the oximeter and VAuto.

*Once I solved my leak problem sufficiently so as to sleep well and receive good therapy, it was time to turn to other matters. Presently it's a  longstanding preoccupation with trying to understand UARS, reductions of tidal volume, deformation of inspiratory curves and how the latter are reflected in the Resmed Autoset and VAuto's data.

[attachment=34271]
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 195 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 462 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  Dreamwear vs P30i Whacked 0 132 04-09-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Whacked
  Understanding OSCAR data BaldZoomer 3 238 04-01-2024, 02:22 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 378 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 4,018 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 152 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.