Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Understanding the data
Understanding the data
Hi All,

I am curious about how my ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet actually works to prevent/minimise apnea events. According to their website:

After you fall asleep and your pressure needs begin to vary, your AutoSet device responds to three separate parameters, based on the degree of airway blockage caused by your sleep apnea: inspiratory flow limitation, snore, and apnea. AutoSet devices automatically increase pressure as airway blockage starts to occur in order to minimise the chances of it developing into apneas.

I have a couple of questions:

1. How does the device know when I have fallen asleep?  Do the data graphs show a different pattern at that time?

2.  By reviewing the data graphs is it possible to determine when the machine has prevented an apnea from occurring?

3.  What is the snore index and how is it calculated/measured?

Thanks,

Robert
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Understanding the data
Welcome to the forum

The statement did not say that sleep was used as a parameter, just that "After you fall asleep and your pressure needs begin to vary".  The machine does not know if you are asleep. The flow graph sometimes shows a more ragged appearance and you will hold your breath frequently causing events when you move while you are settling in, so yes there can be a different pattern when awake.

There is no way of knowing if an event was prevented.  The machine measures Time, Pressure, and Flow.  It is thru algorithms that all else is determined.  Basically the data is evaluated and if an obstructive event is detected (those mentioned by ResMed) Pressure is raised but maintained within the settings.  The elevated pressure prevents an event, but there is no way to determine if and when the event would have occurred.

Snores are determined by evaluating flow rate data, I believe by detecting a vibratory pattern in the detailed flow data.  Roby Sue's SleepHead guide has a lot of detail on Snores. 

My links have a lot of info about many aspects of apnea, I do recommend that you read them.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Understanding the data
Thanks Fred,

I'll spend the next couple of days perusing the material you have referred me to.

Robert
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,545 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 559 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976
  [Treatment] Understanding rise in AHI PedroT 17 812 12-30-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: PedroT
  Help Understanding CA hollercollett 2 363 12-26-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: hollercollett
  Understanding Sleep Study Centennial2 17 819 12-22-2023, 10:02 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question [Diagnosis] Help Understanding Sleep Study and Titration Test DGJ1014 9 581 12-22-2023, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Understanding OSCAR statistics GusHauck 13 686 11-30-2023, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.