Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Unusual Duration of Central Events
Unusual Duration of Central Events
Two nights ago, I had a fitful night and my AHI spiked to a level I've never even been close to in the 10+ years of treatment. The following night was much better but still higher than normal. Last night it's finally down to a reasonable level but still higher than my normal of <1.

The thing I was more concerned with from last night's charts was the fact that I had two sets of tight clusters of central events. Oscar's capture shows 1 central event of 24 seconds or longer in each cluster. Now, most people can probably hold their breath for that long, but I have COPD, emphysema, and asthma, so even when I'm awake I find it hard to believe I could do that. 

I know SarcasticDave94 has similar breathing issues and I wonder if this is a regular occurrence for him or anyone else with breathing issues. It's not for me, so is it possible my COPD is worsening? 
It just seems highly unusual for my treatment. 

My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Unusual Duration of Central Events
Maybe an expanded screenshot of last night's graphs would shed more light. 

Post Reply Post Reply
I know the machine tries to determine the difference between centrals and obstructive apnea but they are sometimes wrong. BECAUSE thes are grouped in several clusters I think they could be positional apnea. Where you sleep in a position where you cut off your own airway.

Have you just started using a new higher pillow? Sleeping on your back or anything that allows your chin to drop down to your Sternum? (Chin tucking)
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed, staceyburke. I'm quite certain it was positional or chin tucking with the clusters. Nothing was any different, sleep-wise, for any of the 3 nights. 

It's just the exceptionally long duration of the events that has me worried. This is very unusual for me. If this had just been one night, I would say...meh Dont-know .
I'm supine almost 90% of the time every night. I always have slept this way but have never had an issue like this before.

Post Reply Post Reply
Have you ever thought about a collar? There a link to them in my signature.

I hope it was an occasional event and nothing more.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah....I may consider a collar if it continues as a trend.
I hate the idea of doing that, but we have to do what we have to do.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 13 395 55 minutes ago
Last Post: stevew168
  Still tired and CA events liebano 1 38 4 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 601 8 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,523 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,405 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 864 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.