Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Unusual Flow Charts On OSCAR
Unusual Flow Charts On OSCAR
Okay, so newbie here. I noticed these breathing patterns on my OSCAR chart today as I did my review. I found several of these patterns and they always seem to happen well into my sleep cycle (anywhere from 1-2 hours in). Normally, the breathing pattern is very stable, but then something happens and the lines go all over the place. 

They don’t exactly look like hypopneas to me, but a couple of them have caused arousals.  The weird thing is that the machine doesn’t mark them as any events. I’m wondering if these patterns are something that I should be worried about. If so, how should I go about fixing these issues? Perhaps a higher pressure? I’m using a ResMed Airsense 10 autoset w/ the pressure settings 7cm - 20cm w/ a EPR of 3 in case that makes a difference. I attached a chart that shows what my normal breathing looks like in a 2 minute window, and then I attached several charts showing what I am talking about.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Unusual Flow Charts On OSCAR
What is unusual is the absence of events. Check the 2 dropdowns at the bottom of the page and make sure they are all checked and green.

They look like a shift in position to me, the "events" you highlighted look like Central events (holding your breath) and are followed by some moderate recovery.

All in all I would love to produce your chart, it is far better than my typical .5 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2019, 04:38 PM)bonjour Wrote: What is unusual is the absence of events.  Check the 2 dropdowns at the bottom of the page and make sure they are all checked and green.

They look like a shift in position to me, the "events" you highlighted look like Central events (holding your breath) and are followed by some moderate recovery.

All in all I would love to produce your chart, it is far better than my typical .5 AHI

Thanks Bonjour for the quick response and clearing that up. I didn't know shifting positions could cause that erratic breathing. Also I checked the drop downs and they were all green.  Here's another chart showing all of the information. Btw, another member, SleepRider had pointed out to me how flow limitations can be harmful to your sleep. He said if I wanted wanted to take to really treat them, I would need a Bipap. With the EPR of 3, are my flow limitations treated enough? (.02 for 95% doesn't seem too bad). Or would I benefit from getting a Bipap machine? Curious to know what you think. I'm all new to this.  Thank you and have a nice day.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO you are good, and I'm normally pretty aggressive about Flow Limitations. If they truly are bothering you with your machine you can try to increase pressure but I wouldn't. BiLevel is a much better way to go but with your numbers, and the lack of complaints, I doubt you could get one covered by your insurance. Lie down and shift from your back to your side, held your breath didn't you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Haha, yes I did. That's good to know. I don't have any complaints. For the first time in my life I've been able to wake up early and not feel tired. I'm literally getting an extra 4-5 hours every single day. Now all I have to do is figure out how stop waking up 3-4 times a night to go to the bathroom! (and last time I checked, I was not diabetic). Could I expect a sleep improvement if I could sleep all the way through the night? Maybe that's what I should focus my attention on.
Post Reply Post Reply
I turn over a lot to ease hip pain, and I have a number of flow patterns every night that look like yours. We breath much less regularly when awake than when asleep, especially when we exert ourselves, as with turning over.

I am sure that with fewer wake-ups, you would feel even better during the day. Worth some attention, probably.

Of course, with frequent urination at night, it’s good to limit fluids for at least 2-3 hours before bed and to limit alcohol and coffee for longer than that. For men, it’s also good to have a prostate check.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bathroom breaks will decrease over time. It is a symptom of a disturbed sleep, such as your past.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2019, 03:26 PM)ReturnofXile Wrote: Okay, so newbie here. I noticed these breathing patterns on my OSCAR chart today as I did my review. I found several of these patterns and they always seem to happen well into my sleep cycle (anywhere from 1-2 hours in). Normally, the breathing pattern is very stable, but then something happens and the lines go all over the place. 

They don’t exactly look like hypopneas to me, but a couple of them have caused arousals.  The weird thing is that the machine doesn’t mark them as any events. I’m wondering if these patterns are something that I should be worried about. If so, how should I go about fixing these issues? Perhaps a higher pressure? I’m using a ResMed Airsense 10 autoset w/ the pressure settings 7cm - 20cm w/ a EPR of 3 in case that makes a difference. I attached a chart that shows what my normal breathing looks like in a 2 minute window, and then I attached several charts showing what I am talking about.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I get those and suspect everyone does. They are short in duration and as long as they aren't coming in long waves are likely nothing to worry about. If you really want to know what is the cause of most anything unusual you find in OSCAR set up a security camera synced in time with OSCAR. I identified many such anomalies when looking into really unusual occurrences I found in my OSCAR Flow Rate Chart. Check out my thread. Maybe you will learn something new about all this like I did.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...g-yourself

Sleep-well
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 8 306 Today, 09:23 AM
Last Post: earnerd
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 67 Yesterday, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 282 Yesterday, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Is This Flow Limitation Cause for Concern? bertchintus 4 265 04-15-2024, 08:27 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  3 Days of Oscar Charts - Looking for advice Jakeb24 5 126 04-15-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Jakeb24
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 182 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 13 673 04-14-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.