Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Unusual and long Obstructive Apnea
Unusual and long Obstructive Apnea
Hi All,

I am on day 106 of APAP and am quite happy with my progress.  Had a concern about CA events early on but they seem to have settled down.  The OA events have almost been eliminated.  Many thanks to Gideon and others for their advice.

Something peculiar happened last night in that I had a single, long OA that woke me.  It was somewhat alarming!  I am curious as to what might have caused this and wondered if anyone has any insight or similar experiences.

Have attached a couple of screen shots.

Regards,
Dave H

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Unusual and long Obstructive Apnea
My guess and it is only a guess, you got into a position that cut off your own airway and then moved and reopened your breathing. (Positional apnea)
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, that AHI is not that bad!

How long was the apnea?

I noticed your O2 only dropped 3 minutes later. Even after your OSA cleared your flow limitations persisted, you were at Max pressure of around 12.8/13 so machine could not go higher.

My own O2 hardly ever drops even with OSA of 40 seconds, unless there is a large cluster, so I don't bother using oximeter anymore. (I have no lung conditions.)

How long after the apnea did you wake up?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Stacey,
Thanks for your reply.  It was not long after falling asleep and I was on my back - normally I switch to my side just before drifting off.  OAs are worst when I am supine but normally are handled well with the machine.  Have never had one this long (47 seconds) and it felt like my airway had been welded shut!
Dave H
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello SevereApnea - thanks for your reply,

That AHI (0.67) is one of my better ones - am averaging about 2.0 which is mostly CA events.  I am happy with the numbers but I have work to do towards reducing the number of times I wake and the delays of getting back to sleep.

As mentioned, this OA (47 seconds) seemed unusual.  I woke pretty much at the end of it which actually does correspond to the O2 drop as my AirSense unit loses time and was about 2+ minutes behind the oximeter.  I don't think I have any serious lung conditions and am reasonably fit.  Most nights my O2 averages about 96 and the low is about 92 with very few drops over 3% or 4%.  I think this is okay but would be interested to hear of others experience.

My concern about this event is fueled by imagining my airway seized shut somehow!

I have the max pressure set to what seems just sufficient to handle most OAs and hypopneas.  With my early concerns about CA events and possible "treatment emergent central apnea", I seem to recall a recommendation to minimize the differential between the min/max pressures.

I am hoping this OA was a one-off and that similar events do not reoccur very often!  If not then I will try increasing the max pressure.

Dave H
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 4 165 04-16-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 266 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 770 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 121 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 872 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps
  Long story short chronic 5 421 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 583 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.