Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Upgraded to Airsense 10 from System One. Couple questions though.
RE: Upgraded to Airsense 10 from System One. Couple questions though.
Thank you for the help.  I clicked it, and everone is there except the RERAs.  I didn't realize there was a graph for the flow limitaions, so I guess I really don't need them to show in the events graph.  I'll up the EPR to three like you and Sleeprider suggested.  The only thing I'm worried about is when the Centrals start showing up, but totally trust your guys judgement.  I'll post a new chart tomorrow with hopefully better results.  Have a great night.  

Brian
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider!!  Great to see you again!! Just when I thought I had everything figured out, I had to go get a new machine.  LOL.   I didn't realize that there was a flow limitation waveform, so I guess I shouldn't be worried about them showing in the events graph.  Is there an "acceptable" limit  on the flow limitations waveform?  
                                                 I'll set EPR to fulltime at x3 tonight.  The only thing I worry about is Centrals.  Bad, Bad Centrals.  LOL.  I trust your judgement though and will do it tonight.  I'll post a chart tomorrow, and you can tell me, "I told ya so."  LOL.  
                                                 Have a great night, and may the CPAP angels, watch over everyone here.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, so far the chart shows 0.00 for central apnea, so we will see what happens. I'd like to see the flow limitation treated to the extent they are not the sole driver of pressure increases. If your 95% flow limitations are less than 0.1, I'd consider it a success.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning Sleeprider.  Hope you had a great night.  I have the chart from last night, which is the first full night for me and my machine.  As I said before I work 7P-7A Sun, Mon, Tuesday.  The first chart I put some actual weight in. 
                       I took your suggestion and set EPR to 3 fulltime.  My flow limit waveform did improve as you said, but only slightly,  Same with the pressures, only decreasing slightly.   No centrals either.  My AHI nearly tripled also, but not putting a lot of weight in the actual number, because the first couple clusters and the last cluster of obstructives are probably from chin tucking.  I do wear a soft cervical collar, but I THINK it's losing some of it's "bounce".  Toying with the idea of getting a hard cervical collar, as I wore one when I was younger from an almost broken neck, and it didn't bother me sleeping with it back then so I don't think it would now either.  I am using the Dreamwear full face mask also.  I switch between a few different masks.  Whichever one isn't getting on my nerves is the winner for the night.  LOL.  Dreamwer full face or nasal, Airfit F20, and a couple cheap ones I got from work are my choices. 
                        I'll post last nights chart below, and hopefully you can suggest what's next for me.  I'm thinking raise the minimum pressure and/or something with EPR.  Am I right?  LOL   Hope your having a great day so far.  

Brian

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that your increase in obstructive events is due to chin tucking. I'm not sure a rigid neck brace, however, is the way to go since it immobilizes the neck much more than a loosely flitted soft collar. Your soft collar should not be tight but are you wearing it so loose that your chin can tuck behind it? I often have to fiddle a little with the closure on mine to get it just tight enough to prevent chin tucking but loose enough that I can get a finger or two between it and my neck and so the collar can easily be moved around. There are risks associated with prolonged use of tight fitting collars that immobilize the neck. The fact that it would only be worn at night may negate that risk but I would be more comfortable seeing you select a soft collar. I have used a soft collar for two years without any adverse side effects.  To my knowledge all our experience for this application is with soft collars and I think it is best to stay with that.

Is you collar tall enough? They come in a variety of heights. The correct height should be close to the distance from where your neck meets your chest to the bottom of your chin. You may have to go to a site like amazon to find a good selection of heights and lengths.

3M markets a soft cervical collar called the futuro that has a height adjustment tab. I don't know how well it works but their products are usually good quality. It is available at most chain pharmacies such as CVS and Walgreens.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the suggestions.  Funny you mention the 3M Futuro collar.  That's the exact one I have.  CVS sells it near me.  I bought the large size, so I'm at the biggest thickness I can get with that one.  I leave the strap on the front of the collar unwrapped around the front or else I'll be able to tuck my chin.  I do leave the collar sort of loose, but sort of tight also, if that makes sense.  The collar rests right under behind my chin.  I've never had a problem with it, so I don't know what happened last night.  I know it didn't come loose on the velcro on the back of the collar.  I'll see how tonight goes.   
                                    One more question.  I feel like a freight train hit me today.  Pretty much the fatigue I had right before I started CPAP.  I'm thinking raising my minimum pressure.  When I was using the System One, I was using straight CPAP at a pressure of 18.  My AHI was always right around 1.  Reason I chose to do APAP 10-20 on the Airsense 10 is, I wanted to see how the machine reacted to events.  I always read that it was better then the System One in that respect.  Would raising the minimum pressure to like 15 be too much of a jump? My 95% from last night was 19.2.  I've also always read that large jumps in minimum pressure were not a good idea.  I just can't take another day feeling like I do today.  It's absolutely horrible.  Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.  

Brian
Post Reply Post Reply
Since your machine is at around 14 or more most of the night an increase in the minimum pressure makes sense.12 or 13 may be a conservative start. After that the need for more tweaking may be evident. I suspect Sleeprider will comment soon. I suggest you follow is recommendations on pressure changes rather than mine. He's had more experience at this.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
Brian, AHI was higher after we applied EPR, but the median and 95% pressure is considerably lower, and you had a major improvement in the flow limitation statistics. This is going to come down to comfort, but my impression is that in spite of the AHI, this is an improvement that might be even better with a higher minimum pressure or dealing with the positional apnea clusters we're seeing. I think try this out for a few more nights, but the clusters of apnea seem positional.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Ok.  Will do.  I'll wait until Sleeprider comments if he can.  I know how busy he can be on this forum.  I he can't comment, I'll take your recommendation of 12 or 13, probably doing 13 and see how tonight goes.  Have a great night, and thank you very much for all your help.  

Brian
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider.  Got it.  Since my med pressure was 14.2 would you suggest a minimum pressure of 14 or since the 95% was 19.1 a minimum pressure a couple steps below that to 17, while leaving the EPR set to 3?  I know the recommendations are usually a couple steps below the 95% number, but don't want to assume anything and would rather go off of what you recommend.  I would prefer not to depend on the cervical to fix things tonight, although I did wash it, and hopefully it will have more support while using it tonight.  I can't take another day like I had today with the extreme fatigue.  Amazing that a night without the machine or with a bad night with it, how much it affects me.  Thank you again.  

Brian
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 362 1 hour ago
Last Post: Matsu1
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,342 4 hours ago
Last Post: btreger
  EPR questions juniper 5 197 04-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 176 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Rising AHI the last couple of weeks Brimstone 7 218 04-12-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Brimstone
  Resmed Heating System Errors btreger 0 115 04-05-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Inspire system JThammer 15 385 04-04-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: cdplatt

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.