Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using CPAP for 2 months, not really feeling an improvement
Using CPAP for 2 months, not really feeling an improvement
I've been hoping the CPAP machine would help me wake up earlier and not sleep for so long so I can reduce tiredness. But I find that I wake up with eye crust and dried drool around my mouth.

I use the largest size nasal pillows that came with the P10, but sometimes I don't use the humidifier due to distilled water being consistently sold out.

I posted these two days below because they seemed to show the most data, I am not sure if the machine is actually helping me or not. The app that came with the machine seems to say I am doing good but I have heard it isn't as helpful as the data OSCAR shows.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using CPAP for 2 months, not really feeling an improvement
BThunder,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

According to your charts, your therapy is working just fine.  However, for comfort purposes, I would try to eliminate the ramp, and move your minimum pressure from
6 to 8.  Set EPR to 1 to help with flow limitation and Hypopnea.

There are other things to try for comfort.  Don't let your eyes get dried out.  Be sure the air from the mask vent is not directed at your eyes.  You can also use eye drops specifically for dry eyes.  

It sounds like you really need to use the humidifier.  If you're unable to find distilled water, then use actual tap water.  You will just have to be more diligent in cleaning your tank so that mineral buildup doesn't occur.

As far as hoping the Cpap will wake you up earlier, we'll that's not what it's intended to do.   In my opinion, sleeping 9+ hours is a little excessive.  But I realize some folk may need more than the normal 7-8 hours.  Are you actually sleeping all that time?
If you're just laying there, you might as well get up.

Sleep Hygiene is important.  Try to follow the same schedule by going to bed at the same time.  It looks like you go to bed kind of late.  Unless it's due to a work schedule, try moving the time you go to bed up by an hour and see if you wake up earlier.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
BThunder welcome to the forum!

do you have the Clinician's Manual for your machine?  You can request a copy through the forum.  You'll need that to adjust pressure settings.

https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

Every time I've bought a machine the DME Supplier has removed the setup manual 
I'm grateful that I found the forum, and received help here to set up my machine.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2023, 07:12 AM)OpalRose Wrote: BThunder,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

According to your charts, your therapy is working just fine.  However, for comfort purposes, I would try to eliminate the ramp, and move your minimum pressure from
6 to 8.  Set EPR to 1 to help with flow limitation and Hypopnea.

There are other things to try for comfort.  Don't let your eyes get dried out.  Be sure the air from the mask vent is not directed at your eyes.  You can also use eye drops specifically for dry eyes.  

It sounds like you really need to use the humidifier.  If you're unable to find distilled water, then use actual tap water.  You will just have to be more diligent in cleaning your tank so that mineral buildup doesn't occur.

So do you think Mouth taping is unnecessary? I am going to apply the setting changes you recommended along with more distilled water usage. I was worried that my mouth was open causing leaks since I had dried saliva in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
I concur with OpalRose. I can't use my CPAP without the humidifier and have often used tap or bottled water. It means a good clean out if you use it for any length of time, but the alternative is a very dry mouth.

I use a chin strap to keep my mouth closed, which I think has helped to reduce the open mouth problem (thought not entirely).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Judging CPAP improvement jprconsulting 1 82 03-24-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 261 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 292 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,654 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Going nowhere with ASV after 3 months CaliforniaDreamer 20 488 03-08-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 326 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.