Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using CPAP while fighting off a cold or flue
Using CPAP while fighting off a cold or flue
Hi!

I admit to being bad at using my CPAP system. Actually, it's probably been almost a year since I used it. I'm wondering if using a CPAP system would help me sleep while I fight off a cold or flue, or would there be no difference, or worse, would using the system make things worse?

I am currently battling a lousy cold. My colds and flus tend to last a long time, and tend to hit me hard, as I've always had a less than stellar immune system. If my CPAP system might actually help me sleep better, and help me to fight off the cold, I would be more inclined to tackle the task of cleaning up the parts, and reassembling the unit. I do have several unopened bottles of distilled water around, and some non alcohol wipes, too, so I even have those supplies handy.

I forget the name of my system, but my mask is the Amara View, which covers both the mouth and nose. I am a mouth sleeper, so I need a mask that covers both areas. I remembered the name of the mask because it's a nice name, and this mask is far better than one I used many years ago during my first attempts at using a CPAP system. The first mask also covered both mouth and nose, but never held a seal long no matter how tight I pulled the straps. For some reason it also always tickled the inside of my nose, which made it hard to sleep with it on. This first mask was an elongated triangle shape with rounded corners, and the longest part going up over the nose area. This appears to be a common style for mouth sleepers. All I know is that I hated it, and stopped using it after a short time, since it wasn't helping me. Years later I tried again with the Amara View mask, which actually does hold a seal much better, and doesn't tickle the inside of my nose. I stilll don't know how the older mask managed to do that. Huh

Another problem with my using my system is that I often fall asleep at my computer desk, in my home office, but my CPAP system is by my bed, in my bedroom. I've been getting better at sleeping in my bedroom, until I got hit with this lousy cold. It's easier for me to breathe while sitting up, so I've been sleeping at my desk the whole time. I'd rather sleep in the recliner in my bedroom. Due to over production of phlegm, even when I don't have a cold, I have to sleep at least partially sitting up, so I switched from using a bed, to a recliner many years ago. I did some research recently, and I think I may have Atypical Cystic Fibrosis. People with this version of the condition get only one copy of the CF gene from one parent, and can have anywhere from no symptoms up to serious ones, and they are often not diagnosed with the condition until late in life. With regular CF, people rarely live past their thirties, but people with Atypical CF can live up to a normal life span, depending on their overall health, and the severity of their symptoms. My major symptoms are weak lungs, and a constant over production of phlegm. I also have some intestinal issues too, which may be connected. I found some OTC allergy meds which help some with the phlegm issue, but having a cold exceeds the ability of the med to fully relieve the problem.

Anyway, I'd like some feedback from others about whether using a CPAP system while down with a cold or flu is a help or a hindrance?

Sorry to run on so much, but I live alone, and due to a number of health issues I rarely go out, so I sometimes get carried away when making posts. Not to worry. A relative comes over about once a week or so to drop off groceries, to check on me, and to see if I need help with anything. He's coming over later today. Last time he came over I had him bring over some natural health remedies, which have been helping me with my cold a little.
Thanks for any help anyone here can give me. Thanks And  Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using CPAP while fighting off a cold or flue
I've yet to gain reliable usage from a nasal or pillows mask as I mouth breathe frequently. Yet I was able to breathe better despite stuffy nose/cold symptoms when I used my ASV. So the short answer is yes PAP should be helpful when having a cold. It is dependant on having the PAP set correctly to begin with, which is where OSCAR comes in. The free reporting tool will show you and us the data on the sleep session. I'd say your fatigue could go back to little PAP usage. Since apnea is treatable but not curable, apnea treatment is typically for life. There again, it emphasizes the strong need to have optimized and personalized therapy. Apnea treatment needs personalized, despite Dr. Dolittle thinking it's a cookie cutter therapy to issue the same therapy, machine, and settings to every apnea patient.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your prompt reply. Your input is much appreciated. My chief concern was that maybe the force of the air flow might push the cold germs deeper into the lungs, but at the same time I do want to breathe better, which the machine is supposed to aid with. The night stand where I had been keeping my CPAP is broken, but I have a replacement. Maybe I can get my relative to help me assemble the new one tonight, and tomorrow I'll try to tackle washing up the CPAP parts. I did manage to get some sleep at the desk this afternoon. I keep some pillows handy to keep me from folding over too much when sleeping at the desk, and also to help prop up my head some, so my wind pipe stays open better.

This condition does seem to run in my family. My father had to use a CPAP machine for a number of years until he passed away earlier this year. My older brother, who doesn't have a weight problem, sometimes has breathing issues, and I even loaned him my older CPAP system, from my first attempt at using it, for a while. I don't think he liked it, tho. My brother-in-law, who also doesn't have a weight problem has had to use a CPAP system for a number of years. He has had trouble finding masks that work well for him. Part of the problem was his beard. Although it was a short, tidy one, it did seem to cause him problems with getting a tight seal. He finally got rid of the beard, even tho he wanted to keep it. He has experimented with many types of masks over the years, trying both the nasal only styles, and the mouth/nose styles. I don't have the money to try a lot of different styles, and my insurer won't cover constant experiments, but at least the Amara View works fairly well for me. It does tend to leave a crease in my face when I first take it off after waking up, but I do need to have it tight to maintain a seal. It's still better than the older mask, as I don't need to have it painfully tight. I did have to change from the size originally prescribed by the CPAP technician. She thought I should use the medium, but did have me get all three sizes initially. I tried the medium for a while, but then tried the large, and found the bigger size worked better for me.

You are right about cookie cutter solutions. We are all different, and have different needs. Facial size and shape, our own weight, our activity level, and many other things play into just what set of parameters will best fit our individual needs in sleep apnea sleep aids.

Thanks again for your input. Thanks Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
You mentioned sleeping in a recliner, which I see no reason not to.

Can you set up your cpap machine beside the recliner and use it that way? I know sometimes it's easier to breathe sitting up or partially reclined than laying flat in bed. Do whatever makes you more comfortable.

When you are over this cold, consider setting up the OSCAR software and letting us see some data from your machine. We can most likely help you set it up with more optimal settings, and possibly help you use the machine more than you do.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it's been a year since you used your machine, you are definitely feeling the effects of just that alone. One of the consequences of inadequate sleep is an adverse effect on your immune system.

The extra pressure from the CPAP machine should help with the congestion.

Maybe you should consider buying a second machine to keep in your office. You can often find good deals on places like craigslist.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW don't be too concerned on a PAP pushing some illness into the lungs, says the guy that has COPD. I know my PAP and ASV treatment has not made it worse.

Just like Radio Shack said You have questions, We have answers. And we do away with cookie cutter treatment and offer assistance to each individual for free. You will not get a surprise boat payment notice.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Chaos58503 Therapy Thread Fighting Positional OA chaos58503 17 1,334 01-16-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: chaos58503
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 535 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 597 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Fighting With My CPAP GotMojo 3 492 12-30-2022, 09:49 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Fighting the urge to nap PaulaO2 3 573 12-05-2022, 08:42 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [Equipment] Cold-weather camping? tundranapper 4 877 05-26-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  High pressures causing/worsening cold symptoms Chalkie 4 820 11-26-2021, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Chalkie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.