Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium with a CPAP Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Using Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium with a CPAP Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Please be kind I am a newbie here  Smile
I have looked in some depth through the forum and cannot see anyone posting about their experience using a Goal Zero Yeti system to operate their CPAP machines

I have been using my Resmed Airsense 10 for about 5 years now and one of the things I worried about was what would happen if I lost power to the CPAP.

My prescription says I have to use the humidity so I after looking at the different types of batteries avaliable and where I live has stringent rules so I had to have something professionally designed, so I choose to buy a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium.

This unit has a display screen with charging, Watta, Amps and Volts as well as how long in Hours the battery will last.

I know from reading many posts on this site most suggestions are to go with SLA 12v cells but although I know how to put a major system together my hands are tied in this old peoples home  Sad so one needs to make the best of the situation.

To protect my CPAP from surges and spikes I have it plugged into a PowerShield Model PSVG1500, 750W output, I chose the more expensieve surge arrester as reading somewhere here the poster said get a expensieve one they work better 

So how long can I run a heated hose on it? all night, I tried two nights once and the GZ shut off about 3AM.... Huh

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium with a CPAP Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
I have a Yeti Goal Zero 400 and I use it ONLY with the ResMed 12-volt DC Converter with the 12v cigarette adapter plug and I can get 6-8 hrs with a pressure average of 14, EPR=3, humidity = 2, and I do not use the heated hose. Without a humidifier, I get up to 14-hours. I never use the inverter option because it sucks power. And I try to go no lower than 20% charge

I tried using ResMed's battery guide and you should consider these estimates only. https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...lo_eng.pdf

The results vary with initial charge level, ambient temperature, pressure, humidity, time. I use it only as an emergency backup and it is continuously powered from the wall. Recharge from 20% is between 6-8 hours. I have yet to try a solar charger. I do not use a surge protector because the 12-volt output is clean DC.
I bought the car charger for $25 but have yet to use it.

I originally considered buying the 1250 for more coverage but it weighs over 100 pounds.

I do not know the difference between the USA and OZ version, but I suspect it has to do with the inverter and 220+ volt output.
Hope this helps. Have a good night's sleep for a better tomorrow.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi srlevine,
Thanks for your input, I went and looked and downloaded and printed it out, it's good info, hope anyone reading this will do the same.

I had to laugh, from your description of your system it seems both of us have very similar setups, how did I miss seeing this.

Mine is connected almost the same but I have the Power from the wall going into the PowerShield, from there the GZ power pack (brick) chargers the GZ.
I used to use the cigarete power socket on the GZ to power outlet (rated at 10Amp max) to supply the 12v to 24v DC to DC converter (Resmed Brick) which plugs into the back of the CPAP machine.

I have it setup this way so if the power fails at night (which has happened once) I don't get woken up and have to fiddle around in the dark with a foggy mind resetting the humidity settings on the CPAP machine, my brain dosent work that well when I wake like that ha ha, so when the power stops, the GZ supplies the power.

I also bought the 4x8mm to mini Anderson with a Mini Anderson to 8mm plug so I can plug in 2 wall chargers to double the charge to the GZ400 (if I get a solar panel I can plug it in there also).

But I had connection issues with the cigarete socket and plug on the GZ so bought the 6mm DC plug to cigarete socket and plugged the CPAP DC to DC into this, have had no issues so far with that setup.

You describe the unit you want next is the GZ 1250, I think that is the SLA battery powered unit. Just a heads up, think GZ are upgrading all their power generators to the next level in October as the X models, and going to have a 6,000watt unit added to the line too, I would love one of them but too expensieve for this kid! Smile

I went with the Lithium as the technology is now very good, far safer now than when Lithium first came out, besides one can draw deep the power avaliable if needed as long as you don't go below 15% or so, (the BMS cut out at 6%) and the current drawn remains at a very constant flow until the drop off point is reached.

I also need to think about upgrading my GZ as the unit I have here only takes me through one night with a heated hose, I need the heated hose with humidifier, carn't stand the dry mouth and nose.

I was thinking about upgrading to the GZ 1,000 or GZ 1400 or the GZ 3,000 as these 3 models have the Lithium batteries, plus on their outputs they have more 12v DC 6mm outlet sockets as well as mini anderson so we shall see.

I woke up several times to a dry mouth which I put down to the hose being blown off the bottom of the swivell (found a easy emergency fix for this).

I was in the Philippines when this happened, so the fix I came up with was to wrap a rubber band a few times around the grey rubber connector, it got me out of trouble until I returned to Australia.

Then I had a bad episode over a Christmas 2018 break when all the CPAP suppliers shut down for two weeks here in Brisbane, I had split the mask cushion across the bridge of the nose, ohhhh what to do, got some bandaids, cut off the gauze pad (throw that away) and used the 2 sticky halves to seal the split cushion and that carried me through till the CPAP suppliers opened.

But that episode tought me to have essential items at hand for emergencies, so I went out and bought a spare water tank, heated hose, mask and also spare wall charger and DC to DC converter. I don't have insurance, too much of a pain in the butt that stuff, so I get it myself, no mucking around, quick and easy and I have the satisfaction in any emergency I have the item to hand and I'm back in business in a few minutes, NO WORRIES. For those who are reading this, just budget. 

I have read on the forums about taking current measurements with Voltages and Amps Watts, the GZ has the green display, and I can switch to see all these items as well as Watts charging, I know the GZ's are expensieve but I don't have to worry about building something from scratch, it's done already.

For those who are courious about what is inside the CPAP ResMed Airsense10 there is a good video on YT someone has made as he takes it apart and puts it back together.
Disassembly and modem removal of ResMed Airsense 10, sorry I'm not allowed to post the actual link.

Sorry about the grammer and spelling mistakes, I have ADHD  Smile
Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
Jim,

You could always chain your GZ with another compatible unit and since the replacement batteries are about $65 you might find a used one on eBay and swap out the battery. 

Thanks for the tip about the cigarette plug and the use of multiple chargers. 

Steve
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Steve, Thanks
I will keep your suggestions in mind, but I want to keep away from SLA and Lead Acid batteries, not allowed to have them where I live, management politics.

I'm toying with upgrading to one of the bigger Goal Zeros about October as this is when they will be offered for sale in Australia.

WATER LEAK FROM THE TANK
Oh I remembered something, I had a LEAKING from my Water Tank one night, it happened like this and I FIXED IT.

Each morning I wash out the water tank, I leave it opened and upturned beside the sink to dry, then just before breakfast I take it out side to dry.
As it's winter time here in Australia it did not dry properly, so I flicked it up and down to get the drips out, and I snapped the small fragile plastic "stop" bit in the middle between the 2 outside hinges.

So I used Super Glue to repair this.
Then the next night after filling the tank with water, and sliding the tank into the right side of the CPAP machine I woke the next morning to a puddle of water.

What happened, I did not check if the water tank had snapped back snuggly when I inserted it into the CPAP machine, it had not sealed properly to the outlet seal inside the black housing to the outlet hose.
Taking the tank out, and after inspecting the tank I realized there was a prodrueing razed glue bubble which was stopping the tank from sealing properly.

The Fix, I used a "Nail File" to make the glue flush in the top section, now it fits properly and after a week, it dosent leak any more.

ANOTHER REPAIR I HAD TO DO
At the place just below the swivel bend on the F&P of the mask there is a little plastic flap, there is a clear plastic cover, this had broken away one night, leaving the mask and heated tube seperated.

THE FIX.
I used Super Glue to re-glue it back, I was very careful not to be generious with the glue, relied on the "capilery" action of the glue to seep in the joint and it worked. I fixed that about 2 years ago, has sealed and held up under all my tossing and turning every night, very happy with this FIX.
One suggestion is, do it in the morning as soon as you can (not in the afternoon) so the air can dissisape any glue fumes, there was no smell when I used it later on.

Hi General question to the readers of this post, besides Steve and I, has anyone got results from powering your CPAP machines via the Goal Zeroes range of generators?
Post Reply Post Reply
Repairs not using gaffer tape your not doing it right Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Too-funny  I like that, ROFL, that a good one.

Bandaids was the only thing I had to hand, Xmas was full on, all CPAP shops shut for 2 weeks Sad drove to almost every one in Brisbug (Brisbane) just to buy another musk, it was an emergency, suffered 2 weeks with a broken mask, so thats the main reason I stocked up on CPAP stuff, cost a bit but it was worth it for the peice of mind.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep I know, should have replied sooner.
I think the gaffer tape fixes all broken stuff like barbed wire with broken car springs and exhaust systems. ha ha. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 358 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,719 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 106 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 837 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 167 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,599 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.