Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using Vcom : do i adjust my EPR?
Using Vcom : do i adjust my EPR?
So ive been on CPAP since last summer, and found i do pretty well with EPR at 1. (My pressure is between 10-12). 
So, since the VCOM kind of acts the same as lowering the EPR (from what i understand), should i then raise my EPR back to 1?
I got the VCOM today, and tried it out quickly. It feels HARDER to exhale with it on! 
Just to test, i put EPR up to 3, and still feels hard.
I was testing it on dreamwear nasal, i’ll try it tonight with full face and see what that feels like.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using Vcom : do i adjust my EPR?
It’s so new there’s probably not a lot of info. for users yet with settings. I bought one a few days ago and waiting on delivery. Experimenting is all you can do I would think. Good luck and please report back on how you’re doing with it and what you had to do.
Post Reply Post Reply
V-com is supposed to lower inspiratory pressure below expiratory pressure supposedly to increase comfort, reduce noise, leaks, etc. It should not act the same as lowering EPR, but it isn't clear how the device will interact with EPR  You should not have to adjust EPR back up.  If the thing is making it more difficult to exhale, it seems to me it's not living up to its hype.  It should be increasing the comfort while inhaling while maintaining exhale pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's counter to any CPAP that I'm aware of. Normally, you want your Inspiratory Pressure (IPAP) to be higher than your Expiratory Pressure (EPAP). That is how a Bi-level or an ASV operates.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
UPDATE: i tried sleeping with the VCOM last night. I left my EPR where it had been (1). I felt like i couldnt exhale well but i thought i’d try itZ i woke up an hour later. I looked at my machine, and in one hour i had 2.2 apneas. My number is rarely above .5.
This was with a nasal mask. I’m curious to see if it would be any different with a full face, so i’ll test that before giving up. But, it doesnt look gpod.
Post Reply Post Reply
Although the sleep res site says it works with bipap (and EPR acts like bipap) you may try it with EPR turned off. That's at least what I gathered after watching Lefty's review on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DImKq7xaGs
Post Reply Post Reply
theredheadsaid,

Thanks for the feedback and taking one for the team. I suspect this device is being marketed to the untreated just like a good percentage of their sales information says. So the new people to cpap may adjust easier since they have no history with apap/cpap. Since your now a veteran of cpap and enjoy easy breathing, installing an obstructive device in your hose is going to change all of that and require adjusting not only to your settings but probably on how you breathe. Thanks again for your update.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2023, 11:01 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: That's counter to any CPAP that I'm aware of.  Normally, you want your Inspiratory Pressure (IPAP) to be higher than your Expiratory Pressure (EPAP).  That is how a Bi-level or an ASV operates.  

- Red

They address this in their whitepaper:

"For 30 years, much focus in treating obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) with positive airway pressure
(PAP) therapy has been increasing inspiratory PAP (IPAP) to maintain therapy and reducing
expiratory PAP (EPAP) for comfort. First, bilevel PAP devices, then expiratory PAP (EPAP)
reduction algorithms, and later mask resistance compensation algorithms were introduced, but
this concept of IPAP > EPAP has not improved adherence and review of the literature suggests
that this focus on IPAP may be misguided. Reducing EPAP decreases both pharyngeal cross-
sectional area and wall stiffness which increases inspiratory resistance and effort, potentially
increasing arousals and work of breathing (Analogous to drinking through a thinner straw with
more collapsible walls). Our hypothesis was that reducing IPAP below EPAP (similar to early PAP
devices) may improve comfort and decrease adverse effects. Since no current PAP device can
reduce IPAP below EPAP, we developed the V̇-Com™ as a novel way to reduce IPAP and test our hypothesis."

https://sleepres.com/wp-content/uploads/...ev-2.0.pdf

Note: I have no vested interest in this device and have ordered one for myself with low expectations but curious to try it out to see if it benefits my therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep in mind that EPR has tremendous therapeutic value in treating hypopneas, RERAS, and flow limits.
Post Reply Post Reply
Titration 101

EPAP to maintain, splint, the airway
IPAP (difference between EPAP and IPAP ) to treat Hypopneas RERAS, and Flow Limits

This is not what I read in their documentation (see Reds post above)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help me adjust settings from OSCAR to CPAP deirdrepen 2 320 01-14-2024, 11:18 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen
  wheezing noise n20 with VCom ifsmithy 2 413 12-23-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  First night using VCOM VegasGMC 31 4,028 09-27-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Equipment] Adjust time on Airsense 11 Liveoak86 2 653 08-19-2023, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Liveoak86
Sad Please review my data and help me adjust my settings DC2Shogun 61 4,480 08-13-2023, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is it time to adjust up or down? SleeplessNSeattle 1 469 07-16-2023, 02:36 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  VCom for CPAP maryamorlagulao 1 742 07-11-2023, 06:37 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.