Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using Vcom : do i adjust my EPR?
RE: Using VCOM: do i adjust my EPR?
Equipment Used
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Standard Tubing
ResMed AirFit P30i Nasal pillow mask (medium)
V-COM
Ice Cube head pillow
Knee Cube with Ice Cube Cooling Cover

What the Report Revealed
Well, this is my third night with the VCOM in place and with the EPR setting turned off and NO tape. Mouth leaks are all but gone. There is a difference in breathing resistance that will take a little adjusting to, but the benefit of not needing tape is a plus.
There were a few events that occurred during REM sleep and during the wake-up cycle.

Conclusion
The Flow Rate wave form pattern looks good, and I may change the pressure from 10 cmH2O to 9 cmH2O and see how my nightly breathing pattern reacts.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using Vcom : do i adjust my EPR?
Enjoysleep, that’s encouraging. like
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2023, 04:13 AM)enjoysleep59 Wrote: The Flow Rate wave form pattern looks good,

You cannot trust the flow waveform. The waveform is "inferred" by the machine based on the realtime flow required to preserve the target pressure in the mask. Since the device puts a restrictor in the air path, which modifies the pressure delivery (as explained in their white paper) it unavoidably also distorts the waveform. By the looks of it, it imposes a sort of "low pass filter" on the waveform, i.e. it smudges it and takes out the details. This explains why it looks "rounder"
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2023, 05:35 AM)pareidolia Wrote: You cannot trust the flow waveform. The waveform is "inferred" by the machine based on the real-time flow required to preserve the target pressure in the mask. Since the device puts a restriction in the air path, which modifies the pressure delivery (as explained in their white paper) it unavoidably also distorts the waveform. By the looks of it, it imposes a sort of "low pass filter" on the waveform, i.e. it smudges it and takes out the details. This explains why it looks "rounder"

Hi @Pareidolia,

I am not sure I fully agree with your comment about the waveform. I pulled a graph from Feb and compared it to the one last night 05/03 and they look similar.

I attempted to get the X/Y axis as close as possible so the scale was similar. The one thing I can see is that there is a slight rounding to the peak of the flow rate on the 5/3 chart. Is this what you're referring to?
Post Reply Post Reply
The waveform on the right looks smoothed to me compared to the one on the left.
Post Reply Post Reply
UPDATE: night 3
After doing some reading on VCOM I saw they suggest you should raise your pressure a bit. My average pressure with APAP was 11.4. So I raised it to 12.4 (only CPAP, no EPR). 
I had virtually NO APNEAS. My waveforms don't look as smooth as last night though. And my Apple Watch says my sleep was crap (not much REM or deep sleep). 
It's weird. the few days I've been using VCOM, I've woken up groggy and that hasn't happened since before I was using CPAP. I'm not sure what's going on. 
This was last night. 
[Image: j7yE5D.jpg]

This was the night before. Can someone explain if having a "shorter" flowrate/waveform is better?
[Image: kh7aqN.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
The CPAP's sensors are in the machine and can only provide information on the air as it leaves the machine.  Since this device is placed between the CPAP and the user, the sleep data generated is totally bogus.   The degree of this skewing is impossible to calculate.  You might base your therapy on how you feel and not from any sleep reporting software.

As far as being groggy, I would speculate that, based on V-com's published operational premise, it is increasing your CO2, thus dropping your O2 levels.  In my opinion, this isn't good.

How much do these things cost?

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2023, 07:50 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The CPAP's sensors are in the machine and can only provide information on the air as it leaves the machine.  Since this device is placed between the CPAP and the user, the sleep data generated is totally bogus.   The degree of this skewing is impossible to calculate.  You might base your therapy on how you feel and not from any sleep reporting software.

As far as being groggy, I would speculate that, based on V-com's published operational premise, it is increasing your CO2, thus dropping your O2 levels.  In my opinion, this isn't good.

How much do these things cost?

- Red

About $24
Post Reply Post Reply
My gut feeling until I get mine is the same as Red said. You need to put in some time, let the body adjust, be careful with what Oscar says. Dial flipping each night never leads to positive results. It’s how you feel is the ultimate test.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would want to view 3-minute view data of both normal breathing and various events data taken within 1 week of each other.
I too am not sure how this device affects the algorithms used by various machines.

Better would be to test it against a breathing 'dummy' with various events programmed and see what it does.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help me adjust settings from OSCAR to CPAP deirdrepen 2 319 01-14-2024, 11:18 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen
  wheezing noise n20 with VCom ifsmithy 2 413 12-23-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  First night using VCOM VegasGMC 31 4,027 09-27-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Equipment] Adjust time on Airsense 11 Liveoak86 2 653 08-19-2023, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Liveoak86
Sad Please review my data and help me adjust my settings DC2Shogun 61 4,479 08-13-2023, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is it time to adjust up or down? SleeplessNSeattle 1 469 07-16-2023, 02:36 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  VCom for CPAP maryamorlagulao 1 742 07-11-2023, 06:37 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.