Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using microwave to sterilize nasal pillow
RE: Using microwave to sterilize nasal pillow
(11-15-2014, 05:19 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(11-15-2014, 04:30 PM)archangle Wrote: BTW, be careful if you boil water in the microwave. Sometimes, the water will boil suddenly like opening a champagne bottle if you drop something into it. Turn the water off and let it sit for a while before dropping anything into microwave boiled water.

Actually the same thing can happen from boiling water normally although once it is actually boiling it will not occur. It would have to be just before it was ready to start boiling that one might cause an eruption.

Yup, in the microwave, if there isn't something to permit the gas formation associated with boiling, it is possible to superheat the water (get it over 100*C). When you introduce something to the water while it is superheated, it vigorously boils....that champagne bottle effect.

The same can be done on the stove, but most cookware is more porous and has more surface irregularities that keep this from happening. Glass is a fluid, though highly viscous at room temperature (give then 100+ years, and you'll see the distortion in your windows as they flow with gravity)...and typically has a much, much smoother surface than most solids. Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2014, 12:30 PM)PsychoMike Wrote: Glass is a fluid, though highly viscous at room temperature (give then 100+ years, and you'll see the distortion in your windows as they flow with gravity)

That's a persistent myth that has been widely accepted as truth since it's so bizarre and hard to contradict. Corning glass is probably a good source of information as to the alleged viscous properties of glass so I'll include a reference link to it that might save you some money if you ever bet that glass is viscous. Smile

Click here & check it out

Post Reply Post Reply
Pro Tip;

Prior to trying any sterilizing method involving boiling hot water, microwaves or other similar techniques, be sure to have removed the nasal pillows from your face.

Just sayin!
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2014, 12:30 PM)PsychoMike Wrote: ...give then 100+ years, and you'll see the distortion in your windows as they flow with gravity...
I think windowpane glass from 100 years ago was all distorted. My Grandfather built his house (fairly expensive Craftsman, I think) about 100 years ago, and all of that glass was distorted, even 50 years ago.

Post Reply Post Reply
I just ordered a so-clean sterilizer for my machine, tube and mask, will let you know how it does when I get it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 155 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 314 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,855 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 261 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 450 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 861 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 339 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.