Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High Pressure Support / EPR
High Pressure Support / EPR
I’ve been through a lot of threads talking about PS, and the one thing I’ve noticed in almost all these conversions is the recommendation of 4PS (and usually nothing higher). 

I’m just curious is there a reason why higher numbers like let’s say 7, are not popular / recommended? 

I am kind of new to bilevel and am trying to find a good PS, I’ve noticed a high IPAP works good for me, but I do have trouble with EPAP making it hard to breathe - so in cases like mine, is it worth trying a high PS like 6+?

Also, if anyone does use high PS (~6+), how did you end up at that point and what are the pros and cons you’ve noticed?

Interested to hear your thoughts…
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High Pressure Support / EPR
Higher PS values are more prone to cause CAs. The object, at least for me, is to monitor your flow rate waveform, and increase the PS until the tops of the form are more rounded as opposed to being flat.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tolerance and efficacy with higher PS varies by individual, and my guidance in bilevel is to start at 4.0, then use increases to resolve flow limitation and comfort issues, and less if centrals emerge. Pulmonary restriction is a really good example of a case where higher PS may be needed to enable a full breath in a short time. I don't endorse very high pressure support in healthy individuals that replaces spontaneous respiratory effort with the mechanical assist of bilevel. I have no evidence that the very high PS settings, generally above 6.0, are directly harmful to long-term health, but intuitively it seems we should avoid it without a good reason. When coaching members here, I have seen users that have self-titrated above 9.0 PS and that replaces all muscular effort in inspiration. Typically over-titrated individuals have unusually high tidal volume, slow spontaneous respiration rates and feel they are not getting enough air at more normal pressure support levels. We want to resolve respiratory issues and strive for comfort and good sleep without over-titrating PS, so I do coach against excessive PS.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As was mentioned, higher PS can make it more susceptible to have Central Apnea events. Very high PS, I'm thinking 9 and above, is likely reserved for ventilator, high assist breathing that's not spontaneous. This wouldn't be a scenario most CPAP/BPAP users be considered.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 125 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 693 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 11 1,332 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 105 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,422 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.