Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Vagus nerve stimulation, central apneas, reflux and hiatal hernia could be related?
Vagus nerve stimulation, central apneas, reflux and hiatal hernia could be related?
I have a small amount of CAs, less than 5 AHI.  But I think that is causing me chronic fatigue.  Before the chronic fatigue I already had gut issues, diagnosed with GERD in 2007.  Chronic fatigue started in 2014.  Been to many doctors and test done and all negative.  I did have an upper endoscopy done a couple months ago.  Nothing major was found but I do have a hiatal hernia.  I have read that that can stimulate the vagus nerve and cause a central sleep apnea.  Anyone have any experience with this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Vagus nerve stimulation, central apneas, reflux and hiatal hernia could be related?
I can't say I've looked at the nerve issue, by I do or did have severe CA and GERD.

I say do or did have CA because the diagnostic sleep study done last month showed only a few CA. Arranging to get my hard copy soon.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Vagus nerve stimulation, central apneas, reflux and hiatal hernia could be related?
Thanks Dave. I can say for myself that I did have GERD way before my fatigue started and got a sleep study. But I did always have sinus issues and bruxism. Hard to say what started what. But I also believe bruxism, reflux, sinus congestion and apnea are also related. If I had to bet it was the reflux first for me. Then that can cause sinus issues. With sinus congestion it can be hard to sleep which can cause bruxism. And then the central apneas could be from the vagus nerve simulation from the reflux. I think I'll go back to my GI doctor and see what he wants to do. Going to see a neurologist too just in case. I've been searching for a solution coming up on 7 years now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sincere best wishes you get your answers. Forgot to mention GERD is based on a hiatal hernia discovered in my prep for bariatric surgery which included a diagnostic EGD.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, so you have noticed a correlation between reflux and sleep apnea? Like your sleep apnea improved after surgery?
Post Reply Post Reply
Relationship between Gastroesophageal Reflux and Central Sleep Apnea

https://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1...acts.A1760

https://www.medigraphic.com/cgi-bin/new/...CULO=31356

https://jcsm.aasm.org/doi/10.5664/jcsm.7504
Post Reply Post Reply
I had new diagnostic sleep study in '17 which was after losing some of the 75 lbs net loss. It roughly halved my AHI from 78 to 35 but I still needed PAP therapy. GERD still there at times. Mostly I sleep on left side and head of bed raised some to keep GERD at bay. On protonix too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can attest to an apparent association between acid reflux and apnea. it had become unbearable by the time I finally started cpap but substantial relief from it was the first improvement in how I felt after cpap. I don't remember exactly, but probably within the first month or so; certainly within 6 months. I still have to avoid certain trigger foods (that I love of course) but it's nothing like back then.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Vagus Nerve on BBC overseas. Interesting podcast.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3cszv75 is the link, 

or search for CrowdScience HowDoesMyMindTalkToMyBody.mp3.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is massive correlation between sleep apnea, bruxism and GERD, it really sucks
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 558 1 hour ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,517 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,398 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 858 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 268 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 305 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.