Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking up anxious
Gross 
Waking up anxious
I am a new to therapy and I have 2 things creating challenges for me such that I have been unable to get more than a few hours of sleep per night. During therapy I am waking up with an intense wave of full body anxiousness/ panic due to the realization that I had not been breathing. While the feeling dissipates quickly, it is extremely frightening and uncomfortable to the point that I stop therapy for the night. This feeling never happened prior to therapy. Is this a common problem and does it go away with time?  Also, I have sometimes been taking my mask off in my sleep. If there is anything I can do to help alleviate these issues, I appreciate your advice. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up anxious
to begin with we always give advice on data.  The data we use comes from OSCAR software.  It is totally free to download and use - NOTHING to buy.  You do need a SD card to put in the CPAP while you sleep.  The software is at the top of the site.  If you have problems there are people here that can help setup.

You have not provided any data so this is just a guess and nothing more.  Do you have your EPR on?  If not set it to full time - EPR 3 and see it that helps you sleep better.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, epr on and set at 3. There have been no central apneas. Pressure is set at 9-12 and the data shows most of the time the pressure is near 12 so the max pressure needs to be increased. Ahi has ranged from 3-17 with the high number happening during a leaky night. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would say the feeling is not uncommon if the settings are incorrect for the person. If you’re not breathing in and exhaling what you need, it would indeed be anxiety provoking. Put up your Oscar charts to get the settings squared away.
There are other possibilities, but they are less likely IMO: get your settings dialed in first.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Consistently Waking Up After ~3 Hours on CPAP sammyg7241 3 838 Yesterday, 08:16 PM
Last Post: redpackman
  DRY MOUTH WAKING ME MCS2014 13 1,774 Yesterday, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Filbert
  More events + higher pressure in early morning waking me up? Looking for advice! JustG 1 83 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Still waking up soaked in sweat flanksinatra 14 463 07-10-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: flanksinatra
  Waking up feeling jittery with ASV Soleil211 14 351 07-08-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New CPAP User - Waking with very high pressures Westernsleep 12 431 07-06-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Waking up a lot still with CPAP tigersbowling 1 201 06-27-2024, 03:05 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.