Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking up feeling short of breath
RE: Waking up feeling short of breath
It could be.  What are your EPR settings?  Can you post an OSCAR screenshot?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2019, 08:31 AM)geauxdbl Wrote: It could be.  What are your EPR settings?  Can you post an OSCAR screenshot?

I agree.

Could be your EPR or Pressure or both are set to low. 

Might be a sinus blockage.  

Download and install OSCAR.  Then follow the steps in these two following links so we can see your charts and provide better answers.  

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Organize Charts

Attaching Charts  

WillSleep

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
An update: having both good nights and bad.  Discounted them for a while since I was getting over a minor cold and some sinus trouble, but now that's behind me.

Last night was tough.  Woke up probably 3-5 times, once choking.  Am now very curious about RERAs and UARS and have been doing way too much reading.  I went back to the actual report from the first of my in-lab PSGs that were done in 2015 and found this:

This study documented 1 obstructive apneas, 0 central apneas, 0 
mixed apneas, 50 obstructive hypopneas, and 0 central hypopneas 
over the 132.5 minutes of recorded sleep for a combined total of 
51 apneas and hypopneas with an apnea hypopnea index (AHI) of 
23.09 per hour. The supine AHI is 60.00, while the non-supine AHI 
is 17.66. The total number of RERAs was 15 with a combined RDI of 
29.89 per hour. The AHI4% is 3.17. 

A total of 11 desaturations were noted with an oxygen 
desaturation index (ODI) of 1.6. The patient's mean oxygen 
saturation was 94%. The lowest recorded SpO2 saturation was 85%. 
The patient spent 1 minutes with an SpO2 at or below 88%, which 
was 0.2% of the total sleep time.  

Keep in mind this was out of only 132 minutes of sleep time (ugh, trying to sleep with wires attached to you)

Screenshots from last night attached.  Any suggestions?
[attachment=17536][attachment=17537]
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2019, 08:31 AM)geauxdbl Wrote: It could be.  What are your EPR settings?  Can you post an OSCAR screenshot?

WillSleep -

I agree.

Download and install OSCAR.  Then follow the steps in these two following links so we can see your charts and provide better answers.  

Organize Charts

Attaching Charts 

Please find attached Oscar Screenshot as requested for one of the days I posted about feeling like I was suffocating.
I received a new mask yesterday so the LL's have dropped off but there are still some being recorded file attached also.

P.S. Should I start my own Thread or keep it here under the one heading?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Pedro
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2019, 07:26 AM)subyroo Wrote:

WillSleep -

I agree.

Organize Charts

Attaching Charts 

Please find attached Oscar Screenshot as requested for one of the days I posted about feeling like I was suffocating.
I received a new mask yesterday so the LL's have dropped off but there are still some being recorded file attached also.

P.S. Should I start my own Thread or keep it here under the one heading?

If you're not the one that created this particular thread, it's probably best to create your own. That way you get the best answers specifically for you, and it keeps post history about your needs bundled into one neat package.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave.
Pedro
Post Reply Post Reply
Continuing my experimentation: last night I tried a nasal pillows mask with mouth taping in the hopes that it would help clear up some of the sinus congestion I've been experiencing.  It didn't.  But you know what did?  

Afrin.

I'm well aware of the addictive nature of the stuff, so I try not to use it - but last night I figured "ehh, what the hell"

The difference was enormous.  It was honestly like that part of the Wizard of Oz where the world goes from black and white to color.  Apparently I'm just used to walking around with messed up sinuses.  

I settled on pressure of 10.8 with EPR of 3.  Woke up a lot, several times due to rainout.  Will keep working on that and see how we do this week.  I'm strongly suspecting that my feeling short of breath was simply due to an insufficient amount of air making it through my nose and into my lungs.  Given my relatively low numbers of OA but frequent instances of waking up with breathing issues, I'm also strongly suspecting that it's time to start looking into bilevel support.

What say you, good wizards of the Apnea Board?
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried fluticasone spray or nasal irrigation?
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2019, 02:34 AM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: Have you tried fluticasone spray or nasal irrigation?

I use flonase and a neti pot every night, and have for months.  Honestly I don't feel like the flonase does anything for me.  I've had a lifelong struggle with nasal congestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have allergic rhinitis, nonallergic rhinitis or something else?
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 254 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 280 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 155 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 389 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 464 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 256 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 321 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.