Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Washing gear in bleach?
Washing gear in bleach?
Is there any problem with washing your CPAP gear (hoses, masks, etc.) in diluted bleach water? Will it result in any degradation of the plastic and rubber parts?

Also how do you get rid of the bleach smell afterwards? Do you just leave it out to dry for a day or two?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Washing gear in bleach?
Smile Hello bbbl67,

I don't know of any recommendation to use bleach. It may degrade the silicone parts, but even so... the smell would take several rinses.

I doubt there's anything on your mask or in your hose that would require bleach.
I believe bleach is overkill unless you already have mold or biofilm junk growing.

I'm sure you'll receive many responses on this as there are many threads on the subject of cleaning our cpap equipment.

I use Dawn liquid soap, rinse well. Easy, takes a few minutes and no smell.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would also recommend against using bleach. Some basic dish soap should be fine, along with warm water and good rinsing. I've never had any equipment get too funky that way.
Post Reply Post Reply
While very diluted chlorine is a suggested way to clean silicone, I could not stand the smell that is left behind even with much rinsing.  I use a SoftSoap hand soap with no scent.  I wet the mask, rub the soap on a bit with no more water, then get water going on it for a bit more hand scrub.  The final rinse is rubbing the silicone cushion till it squeaks assuring oil is gone.
I only give suggestions from experience as a fellow CPAP user, not professional advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Soap and water here also. If I feel that it needs more (about every 2 month's or so) I will clean everything well, then give it a 10 minute soak in a bucket with Control III sanitizer properly diluted.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As others have stated, don't use bleach. No need to! Soap & hot water is the ticket.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Both Resmed and Phillips say not to use bleach or solutions containing chlorine in their user manuals.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
NO WAY
Post Reply Post Reply
Do mine in the shower with the same soap I use for my hair and everything else (hey, I'm a guy). Too-funny

Only time I add anything is a little vinegar when I get the calcium build up in the tank. Let it sit for a while, then rinse it out until I no longer smell the vinegar.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Kindly consider reading the cleaning instructions that come with your equipment. They are provided for users to know exactly how to care their stuff. No need at all to recreate the wheel. Plus, the bleach smell is kinda nasty. ?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  flow rate vs head gear Uzupan 2 623 10-30-2022, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Burning irritation from head gear Xltrod 0 438 10-13-2022, 06:39 AM
Last Post: Xltrod
  How to quickly dry hose and tank after washing in bucket? pkersey 12 1,654 09-05-2022, 09:02 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  How often do you replace gear? Dave W 8 1,020 08-16-2022, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Major rainout with new gear brianps 15 3,067 10-25-2021, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Resmed F30 Head Gear Problem JazzDoc 2 1,257 07-20-2021, 11:47 AM
Last Post: car54
  FOUND ASV titration instructions, deep readings with the real testing gear... racprops 0 736 09-30-2020, 08:38 AM
Last Post: racprops

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.