Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weight Loss and Side Sleeping Therapy - AHI < 0.5
Weight Loss and Side Sleeping Therapy - AHI < 0.5
Since starting on my APAP machine I have begun side sleeping therapy and weight loss to mitigate my sleep apnea.

Prior to being prescribed the machine I was diagnosed with AHI of 37 in the lab sleeping on my back.

Currently I have an AHI of less than 0.5 and an average OA of 0.2 with pressure set to minimums (4 and 4)

How can I tell if I need the machine any longer?  I want to test how I do on my side... are there unbiased home tests?

I heard it once stated it was "rare" to no longer need CPAP, but I ask, how "probable" is it that someone with this level of OA at only 4cm,  namely 0.2 OA and 0.38 AHI, becomes clinical (more than 5 OA index) at 0 cm?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Weight Loss and Side Sleeping Therapy - AHI < 0.5
I can't speak to unbiased sleep tests.  However, there is a very strong correlation between OA/Hypopnea events and O2 desaturation events.  You might try monitoring your O2 saturation while sleeping with something like the Viatom/Wellue products or even a smart watch that tracks O2 while sleeping.  A smart watch won't provide the same level of detail as a dedicated oximeter, but it can give you a good idea if you are having high variations in O2 while sleeping.  If you wear a Viatom/Wellue product while sleeping, you can import the data into Oscar.  I do that on occasion as I try different methods to reduce my apnea events and see if I can sleep without CPAP - sleeping on my side, nasal dilators or various kinds, etc.  I find those things help, but after reviewing O2 data, I always return to CPAP.  When I wear just the O2 ring and stay off the CPAP, the O2 desaturations scored by OSCAR are always close to my original sleep test AHI score or higher.  I occasionally have a good night, but over time, the desaturation events continue to indicate at least mild apnea.  

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much @cdplatt!  That is a very good idea!
Post Reply Post Reply
A glance at your current results shows that although your apnea and event index is well managed, you have a lot of flow limitation and low respiratory volumes that would likely be greatly improved with higher pressure an the use of EPR. Your flow chart shows a lot of spikes that are likely respiratory effort related arousals. I would suggest increasing your pressure to 6 with EPR 2 or 7 with EPR 3 would feel a lot better and still control events. We have members from time to time that run the CPAP at these very low pressures to determine if they still need the machine. A sleep test without the therapy pressure is really the only way to know. Meanwhile, you are sacrificing comfort for a question you cannot answer while still using CPAP. The use of a recording oximeter using a control set of data with therapy and comparing to SpO2 without therapy might be useful, however I still would suggest not handicapping your therapy with these artificially low pressures. If you were using the Autoset mode, your pressure would rise a lot to resolve those flow limits. Providing a zoomed image of your chart (3-4 minutes) would likely show us the impact of these low pressures on your inspiratory flow rate.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dalemazkour - Therapy Help Dalemazkour 23 472 5 hours ago
Last Post: Dalemazkour
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 20 763 Yesterday, 02:53 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 87 1,831 04-25-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  secunix Therapy Thread secunix 0 82 04-25-2024, 02:30 AM
Last Post: secunix
  Second attemp at therapy Jonkier 8 233 04-24-2024, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Jonkier
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 6 272 04-24-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  lisaistired - Therapy Thread and Questions lisaistired 21 1,015 04-24-2024, 01:59 PM
Last Post: dormivi

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.