Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What AirCurve 10 ASV adjustment makes it easier to exhale against pressure?
What AirCurve 10 ASV adjustment makes it easier to exhale against pressure?
What setting adjustment makes it easier to exhale against pressure when using a ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV?

Min EPAP 6.00
Max EPAP 10.00
PS Min 2.00
PS Max 12.00

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What AirCurve 10 ASV adjustment makes it easier to exhale against pressure?
DevinJones, my Aircurve ASV is set to EPAP min 4.0, EPAP max 8.0, PS min 3.0 and PS max 12.2. When there is an occasional exhale pressure push-back, I blow hard through my mouth or nose and it seems to reset to an easier exhale pressure (thank you Sleeprider). You can fiddle with the settings to see what works best for you and your numbers.
Hope that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
The EPAP is your exhale pressure. You can turn down the EPAP Min and see how it works for you. Turn it down to 5 and try that. It's trial and error. Make other adjustments as needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
hopeforusall I thought the blow-back strategy was used when the ASV device thinks you have stopped breathing, like when you have a central apnea while falling asleep, and then gives you a huge surge in pressure to try to force you to INHALE. I want to make it easier to EXHALE. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rich66 Thank you. I thought that if the EPAP is set too low, e.g., 4 or 5, the device can make you feel starved for air or a suffocating feeling.
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on the numbers you posted, your inhale pressure (IPAP) range is 8 cm to 22 cm.  This based on EPAPmin 6 + 2 PSmin  to  EPAPmax 10 + 12 PSmax.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Crimson Nape. I just want to know how to set the device to make it easier to exhale because I feel a little too much opposing pressure when I exhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
DevinJones, I have used the blowback when pressure is a little much on exhale, which while not often, does happen. Give it a try once. If it works, you at least have a backup option. As others have noted, making small changes in your EPAP should hone your device to your needs. Also, you may want to try a different mask (full or not) as some of them may release pressure in a different way. Hope that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
hopeforusall Thanks. If you increase EPAP on the ASV device from 5.00 to 6.00, is it more difficult to exhale against the pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
Basically speaking, in answer to your question, yes -- depending. If your normal EPAP actual reading on the Oscar graphs is at 7, then you probably won't notice the increase. The Resmed default setting for EPAP Min is 4 -- have you tried it? The ASV self adjusts according to your needs. I'm guessing you're having issues with exhaling against the pressure. Turn down the EPAP Min pressure and see how it goes. If you need more pressure, the machine will adjust as needed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Settings Adjustment Sackman101 0 4 2 minutes ago
Last Post: Sackman101
  Help with new AirCurve 10 VAuto Settings aubreyjs 6 141 10 hours ago
Last Post: aubreyjs
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 54 10 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 113 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 20 1,001 04-14-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Aircurve 10 Vauto ANTIKATE 5 163 04-14-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 17 701 04-14-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.