Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What could be causing my SPO2 drops? (OSCAR attached)
What could be causing my SPO2 drops? (OSCAR attached)
Here's the recording of my last two nights - I keep having these SPO2 drops from my 96-97% baseline down to 88-91% throughout my nights. They happen between 10-20 times per hour on average. Any indication of what may be going on from the OSCAR charts?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What could be causing my SPO2 drops? (OSCAR attached)
I'm looking at your chart on a PC and screen, so I can't manipulate the image with my fingers like I can on a tablet or a phone.

It looks to me like you got up or ceased using the machine fairly early, and the machine recorded a 'open airway' event.  That was when your first SPO2 diminution took place.  Later, though, I can see some central apneas where your O2 dropped quite a bit.  I can't read the events, but you can. Hold your cursor over the vertical purple lines in your events chart and tell us how long the longest two events where, and how closely they took place in time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for helping me debug what's going on!

I actually used the machine the whole night for both nights, but there are gaps for when I had to scratch my nose that tickled, restroom breaks and one where I had to get up for an unrelated reason for quite a bit.

Here's the detail on timing and duration of the events for these nights:

Post Reply Post Reply
I am not an expert and new to looking at my data also. My previous 20 years using CPAP did not have a usable data interface. 

What could be causing my SpO2 drops? My guess is that it is your breathing problem. Otherwise, why would we be on CPAP. I am not trying to be sarcastic but if we did not have Apneas, we probably would have a steady 98% all night.

But why focus on SpO2? I thought we used it to backup and check the impact of other measurements.

I had an almost perfect night last night with AHI "0.23".  I had 1 CA and 1 OA. No simple Apneas. Amazing. But, I also had 174 events of SpO2 drops and 337 events for Pulse Changes which is what I think is causing the SpO2 changes with the CAs. 

So, I guess I will join your thread in asking is this a concern?

Dont-know
-- Bill
Struggling to keep the air moving like everyone else …  ?

Standard Disclaimer:
I'm just a CPAP user like you. I can't give medical advice. 
  Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello YouTakeMyBreathAway.  SPO2 levels during sleep are very important to me for the reason that hypoxia (decreased oxygen levels in the blood) is the most serious consequence of sleep apnea.  Organ (and tissue) damage and death can occur if blood oxygen levels are too low for too long a time period.  The heart and brain seem to be the most affected organs (kidneys, etc. can be also).  The "powerhouse" muscle of the body is the heart.  Decreased SPO2 can cause abnormal heart rhythms (like afib for example) that can cause blood clots and possibly strokes.  My cardiologist saw 2 very small spots on my heart that were not functioning during testing this past February.  I am 52 and in very good physical shape.  My coronary arteries were clean from an angiogram, so Cardiologist concluded the two spots were caused by hypoxia from my sleep apnea.  Not a big deal for me since the spots are very small and my ejection fraction is normal, but I don't want this to happen to my heart again (or any organ/tissue in my body).  Sleep apnea is a very serious issue to me personally. I read an article were they are experimenting with some type of protein derived from a certain type of fish that can regenerate heart tissue, but that is still in the experimental phase.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Accidents (and even death) caused by sleep deprivation are most serious consequenses also.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
To clarify my comments, I was talking about the number of times the SpO2 dropped. Not the percentage of SpO2. As stated by Jay, the drop below somewhat normal is very important and a risk to your health. 

Your last screen shots posted were just the events. So, I thought you were asking about the number of events. 

On your original charts, I do see you have frequent episodes like me where it drops to about 88% only for a few seconds. I have been told the Medicare guidelines for them to pay for oxygen support is 88% or below for 10 minutes or more. Like yours, mine also are only for a few seconds at a time. 

Remember SpO2 is peripheral capillary oxygen saturation. So there could be other problems of circulation to your hands. It is not O2 at your heart but it is a convenient and significant measurement.

Some of your events in the strip snap were over a minute. You would have to match those to the amount of decrease. If still in 90s, I don’t believe there is a problem. If one of the 90 second events was 88% or below, you should talk to your doctor.  It may not qualify for O2 support, but it is significant. Maybe some medication change needed. 

Dont-know
-- Bill

Standard Disclaimer:
  Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Great points Bill.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Post Reply Post Reply
It would be a more perfect world if we never received or gave wrong information even if well intentioned. I passed along what the DME provider stated when they read my study. Both of us intended to give good information about the O2 Medicare guidelines.

Anyone reading this, should read Gideon’s post of his research:
[Treatment] FYI: Home Oxygen Therapy Medicare Coverage Checklist

Thanks Gideon for doing the research after you read my comment and others. I wanted to post here in case someone was reading this and had not seen the other post.
-- Bill

Standard Disclaimer:
  Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for sharing the medicare guidelines!

I am curious as to how significant oxygen drops are to people’s sleep - like are my oxygen charts what is likely causing my tiredness (despite good AHI)?

I get that the drops must be breathing-related why I have the drops, but why is there no hypopneas marked with the drops? Does this point to some sort of lung disease that reduces oxygen absorption? What would be such diseases?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 44 Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Last Post: coffee9724
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 150 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 932 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 91 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 397 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 830 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 681 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.