Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What does this mean?
RE: What does this mean?
(08-17-2017, 10:19 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 08:00 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Unless that is your titration study, you don't have Sleep Apnea. You had no Obstructive events except for the "mixed", whatever they are considering that to be.

Oh yeah. I didn't think of that. So HalfAsleep, if you had an AHI of 18 and it was lowered to 1.9 by CPAP therapy (which is what Paula is saying) then the CPAP therapy is working for you. The fact that the events were mixed or central means nothing because you had so few of them.

That was a first-time sleep study, not a titration. Evidently, I had 11 centrals during that time?

I had a total of 114 events during the night.

I think I'm figuring this out....Those 11 centrals have an AHI of 1.9. All the other events of poor breathing with over 3% desat had an AHI of 16.1. Total AHI is 18.

Centrals just refer to source, correct? The source is the brain, not the throat? But you can have central hypopneas and/or central apneas?

So, this begs the question...Is a central AHI of 1.9 significant?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2017, 10:41 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: Centrals just refer to source, correct? The source is the brain, not the throat?

Correct.

Quote:But you can have central hypopneas and/or central apneas?

I've never heard of a central hypopnea. I don't see how it would be possible to have one because during a hypopnea you're breathing, it's just that you're breathing too slowly.

Quote:So, this begs the question...Is a central AHI of 1.9 significant?

No, it is not clinically significant. You have obstructive sleep apnea. Now, a CPAP machine can induce central sleep apnea. Sometimes it subsides and sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't then you can lower the pressure, and in the case of bi-level therapy you can also lower the pressure support, to attempt to treat the situation. Lowering the pressure may cause your obstructive or hypopnea indices to rise. If all else fails, you try CPAP therapy with a ASV machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes you can have Central Hypopnea.  It is often characterized by periodic breathing.  The wave form is like a normal breath only in miniature.  Obstructive Hypopneas on the other hand have a flattened top indicating an airway closed or partially closed during the breath.  In my sleep study (1st) I had an AHI of 44 all Central Hypopnea.  

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2017, 06:53 AM)richb Wrote: Yes you can have Central Hypopnea.  It is often characterized by periodic breathing.  The wave form is like a normal breath only in miniature.  Obstructive Hypopneas on the other hand have a flattened top indicating an airway closed or partially closed during the breath.  In my sleep study (1st) I had an AHI of 44 all Central Hypopnea.  

Rich

Yoewza with the 44...

I think I'm getting it....bad breath (pnea) is classified by source and degree. Either from the brain (central) or the throat (obstructive) AND either apnea (which means "no breath") or hypopnea (which means "too little breath").

I have a lot of hypopneas and most come from the throat.

I guess we'll see what they come up with for equipment.

I bet I have centrals during the day....I wonder if there's a solution for that....
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.