Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What does your untreated sleep apnea fatigue feel like?
RE: What does your untreated sleep apnea fatigue feel like?
(04-20-2020, 04:15 PM)hegel Wrote: ...

oh p.s. afib has nothing to do with the plumbing of your heart--it's an electrical issue, having to do with the conduction of current between the chambers of the heart. I had a stress test recently and my heart is in great shape! But I could have an episode of afib. This is why it's best to see an Electrophysiologist--EP--for afib. These doctors deal with electrical currents in the hearts. Their the electricians; cardiologists are the plumbers.

I mentioned the various tests of my 'plumbing' because the cardiologist wanted to rule out atherosclerosis and heart disease.  I realize that AFib is an electrical issue, and that is why I also mentioned that ablation is really the only remedy with any lasting efficacy, and even that isn't a sure thing by any means.  Many have to have the ablation performed at least twice.

One of the many tests I had was the MIBI stress test, but I also had an electro-cardiogram, an echo-cardiogram, and I had my carotid arteries imaged via Doppler ultrasound.  It was the imaging of all sorts that showed my vascular system and heart to be in very good order.  Sleep lab...not so much.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2020, 10:23 PM)StevesSp Wrote: I am one of those people who have experienced little, if any, improvement in my fatigue since using CAP. If fact, like many others, I wasn't aware of feeling particularly tired before i was diagnosed, but I sure as heck do now.

My theory is that sleep while on CPAP/APAP isn't 'good sleep'. My AHI is waaaay better though so, because  have heart disease that may have been caused or worsened by my untreated apnea (>ten years before diagnosis), I stick with it.

As to how I feel, just read up on the classic symptoms of 'sleep deprivation' and that's it, right there.

For me, I experienced this when I didn't utilize the softest setting on the ResMed Airsense 10 Auto.  Once I switched to the softest setting, I got less disturbed sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2020, 01:38 AM)Hydrangea Wrote:
(04-20-2020, 10:23 PM)StevesSp Wrote: I am one of those people who have experienced little, if any, improvement in my fatigue ...

For me, I experienced this when I didn't utilize the softest setting on the ResMed Airsense 10 Auto.  Once I switched to the softest setting, I got less disturbed sleep.

I will give that a try at some point, but the poor sleep quality has plagued me since I started with CAP and continues now that I'm using APAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, mesenteria, I didn't mean to come off like I was correcting you. I understand that you know the difference. I was speaking in general, since one of the hardest things to get people to understand when I have to bring up my afib is that, no, I don't have "a weak heart" etc. They always assume that I must be frail etc.

People who may have undiagnosed afib often do nothing because their hearts are functioning fine when they exercise. So pointing out that the two may be unrelated is informative for some.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI scores but feel like I should feel better jake79 5 152 Yesterday, 01:57 PM
Last Post: jake79
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 218 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 7 468 04-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 228 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 120 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Need help with RERAs in sleep apnea shedu1337 8 291 04-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 199 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.