Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What is approved Medicare FFM list?
What is approved Medicare FFM list?
I'm waiting to hear from OptimRX to see which FFM's are approved for Medicare.  I don't know if it's up to Medicare or United Health Care which ones are covered.  I have AARP MedicareComplete United Health Care.

Let me guess, they use list price rather than an online supplier sale price and then I pay 20% right?  I have been told they will send the mask and bill me the 20%.  I don't believe it.  Is this for real?

My guess is that my Apex Wizard 220 FFM is not on the approved list.  I can get this online for $65.  It works perfect. 0 leak rate.  Great for side sleeping.  If it's covered it would only cost me $13.  The cushions are cheap too, only $16, so figure 20% of that is $3.20 from an online supplier.

After fighting with my backup mask, a Quattro FX I'm not that much interested in experimenting with another Resmed mask.  This thing is the worst.  It leaks, it slides, I wake up with the bottom cushion in my mouth.  Or maybe there are some that might work for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is approved Medicare FFM list?
The only approval that I'm aware of is FDA Approval.    Masks can't be sold in the U.S unless they are.    I've never seen any other approval list.     Someone please correct me if there is another one.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't believe Medicare has a list of approved masks.

You should call them directly and ask what the procedure is if you buy from a DME or online and what your coverage is. Find out what your copay is.

There are many different Medicare Advantage Plans and coverage is not the same from one to the other.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not know the answer to your question but if you have a mask that is working for you and you want the same mask, have your Doctor write the exact name on the script. The DME is supposed to comply with that.
Also if that Wizard mask works for you , then you are blessed. I have 10 masks in a drawer that do not work for me and a year trying different masks. Lucky You.

Dan
Post Reply Post Reply
This sounds like a post from 2016 where a person was told by a DME:  "That's a premium mask.  You have to pay extra for that one."
It was an illegal attempt to push the person to a mask where the DME would make a greater profit margin.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid173320
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting....I "attempted" to order my P10 mask from DME last week.  I have ordered this mask from same DME for the last 2+ years without issue.

Now the DME tells me that they can no longer sell me this "premium" Resmed mask, and then attempted to sell me two other masks that they had in stock.  The crazy sales person also told me they were no longer selling ResMed products.   Huhsign

I won't go into detail of my response to them, but am now searching for another DME.   Sad
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
On July 1st 2016, CMS went to an approved bidder system similar to what they did on diabetic test strips.
To "win" an approved bidder contract, DMEs are limiting what they will sell.

The stupidity of CMS in creating such systems to save a few Dollars results in junk being pushed on patients that likely lessens compliance.
I lost my DME on 7/1/16. Found one in TN who had won a competitive bid contract. They are in the process of buying up small DMEs and selling their inventory. Soon we will have no place to acquire supplies like masks.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Lanco, Medicare does not restrict the masks you get. It's your DME who does. Medicare has a limit on how MUCH they will pay per category. If the mask in question is more than what the DME will accept for assignment, they can refuse to sell it to you with Medicare as the payee. Which means it's 100% out of your pocket, so you may as well go to an online retailer.

Yeah Mongo, the competitive bid contract situation is bad for many patients. It's getting better in some areas, but basing all upon cost alone usually results in disaster.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 228 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  CPAP and Medicare and yearly Rx renewal silverchief2 8 273 04-08-2024, 06:58 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 222 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 259 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 358 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 978 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirMini and Medicare (USA) bwilson4web 0 279 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bwilson4web

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.