Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What's the best mask for a BiPap at 22/13 pressure?
What's the best mask for a BiPap at 22/13 pressure?
I've only had my BiPAP two months. There are times when it and I are out of sync and my mask leaks. I have the blue gel seal with a flap of silicone. Surely there are better full face seals for a higher pressure like my 22?

PS: This machine has saved my life.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What's the best mask for a BiPap at 22/13 pressure?
G'day Jim, welcome to the forum.

The received wisdom is that a smaller mask (eg a nasal mask) is better than a full face for high pressures. This makes sense considering the mechanics, as the smaller mask exerts a smaller force on the headgear and also has a smaller length of seal to keep leak-free. Following this logic, nasal pillows would be even better.

This raises the question of whether you need the full face mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask you have is rather low end so you can do lots better, yes.

Do you wear full face because you mouth breathe in your sleep? Or was it just given to you? A full face mask will leak because of how much face it has to cover. A nasal mask is better because it covers less. You may have better luck with a nasal mask and a chin strap if you are opening your mouth in your sleep.

The Eson might work. Any mask with really good headgear would.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I had such nasal problems I couldn't breath through my nose.
Putting grapefruit seed extract in my humidifier has opened up
my passages, reducing my mucus levels there and in my lungs.
My lung capacity is up from 60 to 70% according to MD. So I'm
breathing better than ever all day. I might be able to handle a
nasal mask now.

Is 22 too high for a nasal?

Does the chin strap make you feel claustrophobic?

thanks for your reply

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there, I'm 13-21 with a PRS1 BiPAP and I use the Resmed P10 Nasal pillow mask, and I love it. Have also used the wisp FX nasal pillow mask and I liked that one as well, though I find the P10 better. As our pressures are about the same I'd have to say you're not too high to use pillows. I do not use a chin strap, after years of marriage it was easy to keep my mouth shut on command Big Grin
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Panama Jim,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good to hear that your machine is helping you.
Hang in there for more suggestions.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and finding a new mask that will work for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome Galactus! I'll give the P10 a try.
Yes, I've been married to the same wonderful woman for 41 yrs.
I know when to shut my mouth or when it's time to apologize for not.
The whole house is quieter now that I'm not snoring all night or getting
up every hour.
Have a great Christmas ALL. Sweet dreams cause your breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
I need to ask a question PJ. Your 22/13 pressure - is that your bilevel inhalation/exhalation pressure or is that a range for auto mode as in max IPAP/min EPAP. It strikes me as a range for your auto mode. If this is the case, what is your 95% pressure.

I guess the first question I should have asked is what model is your Resmed S9. Is it a VPAP S or a VPAP Auto?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
UnsureHas anyone out there tried a Hybrid Mask? I love my P10 for her nasal pillow mask, but I suffer from nasal congestion, and am also becoming a mouth breather. So it seems that a Hybrid mask may solve those issues, without going full face.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another suggestion seldom brought up if you need to go FFM is the Fitlife total face. Itll withstand high pressures, and does away with the pressure sore problems. I wore one for about a month and half starting out and cant find any complaints with it.

Went from it to a Simplus to a Eson nasal. All are excellent masks. I just have better numbers with a nasal and worked training myself on FFMs to get to the point I can use one. Fitlife looks big and intimidating but its really a very comfortable mask you can side or back sleep with.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 955 10 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 520 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  OSCAR pressure readings versus BIPAP display smallhandsfeeding 0 155 02-07-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  UARS, bipap pressure, I or E Wcsleep 3 437 01-12-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Do mask types affect xpaps rise in eye pressure? Happyeyes 4 363 01-12-2024, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Newbie here - do I need higher pressure or BIPAP? her.suit 0 297 12-29-2023, 01:54 PM
Last Post: her.suit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.