Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What (sleeping) pillow do you like and why?
RE: What (sleeping) pillow do you like and why?
I too tried a CPAP Contour Pillow and wasn't impressed. It now tales up space in my closet.  I wound up with a buckwheat and foam pillow and love it.  In fact my wife, who's not a PAPer, tried it and loved it.  I now have 3 of these pillows.  The manufacturer is a CPAP user and sells direct or through amazon (lower price). The brand name is CPAPfit CPAP Pillow. If you decide on this pillow, be forewarned that they are shipped overfilled and you will need to adjust it to your size and sleeping position.

Good luck in your quest.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using a My Pillow that are advertised frequently. I purchased mine at a local drug store for about $50 which is a lot more than I usually spend for a pillow. I generally consider pillows to be disposable and replace them frequently. I like a scrunchable pillow so I can get it just right to accommodate my breathing mask.

The new My Pillow is very scrunchable and seems to hold its shape well. If it gets out of shape, you can re-fluff the thing and get it back where you want it. So far, I like it and expect to get one for my xyl. They come in three sizes. As tiny as she is, she will need the small. I really need the grandes! Wink

foss
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2018, 08:56 AM)OpalRose Wrote: ...
Someday, just for the heck of it, I would like to try a buckwheat pillow, but no one ever says if they hear any crunching sounds of those buckwheat hulls when moving around.

Beginning of the week I did a Giggle search, thinking it would work for me. Found that universally (there seems to be a range of quality and condition) they were reported to make a noise that some didn't mind and others couldn't abide; have a texture/feeling that some didn't like and others didn't mind; that they were like dry sand in how they could be punched into shape and would hold it -- but were as "firm" as sand, in that they didn't easily 'give' when pressed, like feathers or foam do.

Even found a Website that had a sleep-off between three lady friends who had different preferences, and all three gave a mediocre grade, and rejected it as a sleep aid.

At the price of the cheapest (and the size pillow you get), an exhaustive Giggle (or Yahoo! or better, DuckDuckGo) is called for. Jus' sayin'.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2018, 11:42 AM)ShaunBlake Wrote:
(03-17-2018, 08:56 AM)OpalRose Wrote: ...
Someday, just for the heck of it, I would like to try a buckwheat pillow, but no one ever says if they hear any crunching sounds of those buckwheat hulls when moving around.

Beginning of the week I did a Giggle search, thinking it would work for me. Found that universally (there seems to be a range of quality and condition) they were reported to make a noise that some didn't mind and others couldn't abide; have a texture/feeling that some didn't like and others didn't mind; that they were like dry sand in how they could be punched into shape and would hold it -- but were as "firm" as sand, in that they didn't easily 'give' when pressed, like feathers or foam do.

Even found a Website that had a sleep-off between three lady friends who had different preferences, and all three gave a mediocre grade, and rejected it as a sleep aid.

At the price of the cheapest (and the size pillow you get), an exhaustive Giggle (or Yahoo! or better, DuckDuckGo) is called for. Jus' sayin'.

Thanks, that was interesting! I may try one someday. There seems to be many buckwheat pillow users here.
But if I hear crunching noises every time I more my head, that pillow may take a flying leap.

I do like the “My Pillow” brand. Thinking-about
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
From my perspective the buckwheat does have a slight crunching sound when being configured. . . something akin to crunching cereal . It's not that bad though. Usually after getting it positioned, it isn't disturbed from then on so no noise.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Red. I hear it when I am adjusting it each night but after that, nothing. Or I no longer notice it. The buckwheat is cooler temp than the millet. The company I got mine from said they have noticed more women like the softer millet and more men like the buckwheat. I don't like the millet.

And no, no sharp pricklies. I get a lot of that from my down body pillow, though. Gah, I hate that thing. Gonna have a crafty friend make me a big pillow case and fill it with buckwheat.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2018, 12:49 PM)OpalRose Wrote: ...
I do like the “My Pillow” brand.

I've read so many similar comments that I'm gonna hafta give them a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2018, 08:56 AM)OpalRose Wrote: ...I would like to try a buckwheat pillow, but no one ever says if they hear any crunching sounds of those buckwheat hulls when moving around.

No, no crunching sounds.

My husband (not on xpap, but loved the buckwheat pillow after testing mine and insisted on having one for himself) says he can hear a rustling when he first lies down, but not when moving around. It isn't bothersome at all. (I asked him again and he says, "No. Not at all.")

My daughter, is on xpap, does not notice any sounds.

Personally, if I am hyperfocused on whether I am hearing sounds or not, I can hear sounds with a regular pillow. If I'm just going about my business like normal, then I don't notice any sounds. Certainly none that would disturb my sleep.

edit: should have mentioned that I am also a little bit hard of hearing. not much though.
Post Reply Post Reply
I understand that pillow preference varies and what suits one person won't necessarily suit another. But people have said what they like about their preferred pillows, which has been a big help to me in applying their experience to what I am looking for, and I'm grateful to each person who took the trouble to respond.

I ordered the CPAP pillow someone recommended from WM, and I'm eyeing a non-CPAP memory foam pillow with a cooling gel insert - I wake up with sweaty hair most nights and wouldn't miss that at all. But nothing that needs scrunching appeals to me, I can do that with my current down pillow (which suits me just fine except for not having a cpap inset). In fact, I DO do that with my down pillow every night after I've put on the apap. And it won't be the end of the world if I don't find anything that suits me better. But I figured it was worth looking into.
Post Reply Post Reply
The cooling gel insert sounds like a nice feature to have.

I would have tried a memory foam pillow if not for having chemical sensitivities. A lot of people like them, and fiberfill pillows (my other option) lose their integrity too quickly.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 992 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 172 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 634 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 244 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,092 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 996 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 287 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.