Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What (sleeping) pillow do you like and why?
RE: What (sleeping) pillow do you like and why?
Buckwheat hull. I actually have a "Duplex" pillow that has buckwheat hulls on one side and millet hulls on the other. They offer it so you can decide which one works for you. I prefer the buckwheat. I got it from the Pillow Company online.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for the comments! You've given me a lot to look into.
Post Reply Post Reply
A big THANK YOU to everyone who took the trouble to respond! I so appreciate the suggestions even of the ones that I have ruled out for lacking some aspect that I know I need. There are SO many options out there that it was an enormous help to have some suggestions to start with. Your comments also helped my crystallize exactly what I was looking for, although the pillow I need may not even exist.

It looks like the benefit of the buckwheat hulls is being able to arrange them to accommodate your accessories. I can do that with my down pillow; I want something that already has the gaps and supports I need. But thanks for bringing it up!

I don't use back/front support pillows, I seem to stay in position okay without them. I do use a pillow between my legs, but a cheap sofa pillow from WM has worked fine for that for years. (I do have back pain on the rare occasions I'm able to sleep in bed more than a few hours, but since it happens so rarely and I really hated messing with arranging pillows in bed, I'll continue my current setup.)

One concern I have with memory foam is that my ear hurts fairly quickly if I don't arrange my down pillow so there is a gap under my ear to prevent pressure. Since I wouldn't be able to do that with the memory foam, is it soft enough to not press on my ear? (I have yet to read a review that mentions ear pressure even from self-identified side sleepers. Maybe I'm just weird. But meanwhile the Modern Sleep Contour is still on the "maybe" list.) (Ha! One of the reviews specifically mentioned it was kinder to the reviewer's ear. And the price is a big plus - if it turns out to not work for me, I won't have wasted a lot of money.)

The Splintek SleepRight looks like a nice pillow but it doesn't have the holes/gaps I am looking for. (I use a full-face mask.) Same for My Pillow (although DH mentioned that a friend of ours uses that and absolutely adores it - but she doesn't use a CPAP).

Have any of you tried any of the CPAP-specfic pillows on the market? What did you think of them?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't use a pillow, well I do but it is just to get some height.
I use a cushion from a Swedish company, it is about two feet long and around six inches across, it keeps the mask off the rest of the bedding and I can use it in any direction just to keep things from getting knocked off by bedding.  Good for side sleeping.
They are not even expensive, just a few dollars and can be chucked into the washing machine and drip dried, perfect for me.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2018, 10:18 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: ...
I use a cushion from a Swedish company, it is about two feet long and around six inches across ...

Never heard of such a pillow. Can you give us a source or name?
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a 2 pack of bamboo pillows that I didn't use because they were too thick. I took one and sliced open the end and pulled off the cover. I then used a sawing machine and sewed a half moon on one side of the cover. I then laid the cover on top of the stuffing and tore out a half moon section from the filling and removed some of the filling thickness and put the cover back on. Once the filling was back in the cover, I pulled out another half moon shaped sliced of filling on the opposite side, then hand sewed the cover to match the shape. Then I used the sawing machine to sew up the end. Saved $50-70 and have a CPAP pillow that I love.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an EnduriMed Large CPAP pillow that I like very much- it's comfortable and lets me sleep on my side without the mask shifting.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tried several cpap pillows but ultimately went back to tried and true down. I use four of them. I'm generally a left side sleeper.
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
I hadn't thought about making my own, interesting idea! I could also sew a circle for my ear with practically no filling. I don't know if I'm up to that much sewing, my back hasn't let me sew in years.

The Endurimed is one I've been looking at. Does it put pressure on your ear when side sleeping?

FOUR pillows? That would drive me crazy. lol Even getting my one pillow re-arranged whenever I get up at night (usually at least twice) bugs me. I do like the comfort of down, though, just wondering whether the convenience of a pillow that accommodates my CPAP mask would be worth the tradeoff. Looks like it is to some people and isn't to others.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried a CPAP Contour Pillow early in my treatment, thinking I should have one.  Oh-jeez
It had all the cutouts you talk about, but the problem is that the cutouts don't fit everyone's head and neck shape.  Same as a certain mask won't fit everyone.  

I found it extremely uncomfortable, hard as a rock, and the cutouts didn't match my short neck.  And yes, my ear was sore in the morning.  I gave that pillow to my brother in law, who loves it.  

Pillows are not a one size fits all, you just have to try them.  I used a My Pillow brand for years, way before I was diagnosed with SA.  After trying a couple pillows  "made just for CPAP users", I ended up going back to the My Pillow and still use it to this day.

Someday, just for the heck of it, I would like to try a buckwheat pillow, but no one ever says if they hear any crunching sounds of those buckwheat hulls when moving around.   Dont-know
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 206 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 253 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,865 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.