Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: What water do you use to fill the humidifier tank?
This poll is closed.
Distilled
74.29%
52 74.29%
Tap
14.29%
10 14.29%
Other
10.00%
7 10.00%
N/A
1.43%
1 1.43%
Total 70 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What water do you use to fill the humidifier tank?
RE: What water do you use to fill the humidifier tank?
I use tap water. If I can drink, I can breathe it. I rinse it out every night and rinse the tank with chlorine bleach when the bottom of the tank takes on a pinkish hue. My water comes out of a river is filtered to remove any fish poo, treated with chlorine and dumped into the water distribution system. If chilled, it is quite tasty and smells good too. I do wish I had spring water like PaulaO2. Unfortunately, the last spring I saw in Kansas had a red tint to it because of the iron reducing bacteria that lived in it.Oh-jeez
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have always used distilled I buy cheap from Wal Mart or Albertsons. I clean the container every week or so with white vinegar and mild soap or just vinegar for all my hoses, pillows etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
Anyone remember the vinegar to water ratio for cleaning stuff? Is it like bleach, a 10% solution?
Post Reply Post Reply
I use RO water which I get from a system that I have mounted under the kitchen sink. It supplies a drinking water tap there as well as supplying the ice maker and cold water supply to the fridge. This water leaves no residue in the humidifier chamber at all. I use bottled water when on the road, but it usually leaves residue behind and requires a good cleaning when I get home. I always replace any remaining water with fresh every night.
Post Reply Post Reply
For the first two nights, I used filtered tap water. (got white film on plate fast...) After that I've been using distilled.....and now I'm filtering the distilled water....because the distilled water has an odor to it, and I like to my distilled water to be free of smells.

Since the humidifier also acts a filter, it'll get dumped out once in a while....though not as often if I was using non-distilled water.

There was a period of time...where I'd go to bed and wake up to a strange smell. I trace backwards and dump out the humidifier....and then the next night....the smell would build up over night and be awful in the morning. Again, dump out the water and repeat. After a few days...I realized the water was only absorbing whatever it could...until it couldn't. Found out the burning smell was my CPAP.....there had been some secret recall of an electrical problem (i.e. the unit has to fail before it'll be covered by the recall, and only brick and mortar DMEs were notified....after providing them with 'sufficient' replacement units.)

When I travel....it depends on whether I checked a bag or not. If I checked, I'll have packed a PAPflask of distilled water....otherwise I'll buy bottled water at the hotel. The PAPflask is (supposedly) labeled to get through TSA...but I've never tried.

The Dreamer
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
Post Reply Post Reply
I use distilled water sold in gallon jugs at the grocery store for under a dollar. I sleep a fairly consistent amount of hours (about 6.5 or so) each night so I fill the tub usually to the first line on the ResMed H5i water tank and have just a little water left each morning. I don't dump any out, I just refill it to that first line. I open up the standard water tank (yes, it is possible) and I clean the tub once a week just using ivory liquid soap and hot water and don't have any residue at all on the bottom of the tank in 6 months of use.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I use distilled water. I'm kind of shocked how many of you just refill and don't dump everyday. I'm retentive about inhaling old water.
Post Reply Post Reply
We have a water softener for whole house and a water filter on the kitchen faucet so I use that water. I was using distilled water and I don't really see a difference. I do dump it daily too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I make my own distilled water....which is a pain, since I seem to have a poor memory on remembering to make it.

The fan in it is kind of noisy, so usually I run it when I'm at work or over night (depending on the time of year.) Except I often set it up, and then never remember to start it before I leave for work or before I go to sleep.

I should probably work on dumping it more regularly, and keeping myself supplied with distilled water more regularly...but the really scary other secret, is that I don't replace the filter on my machine regularly....sometimes months will go by and then I'll think, its been a while since I changed it....hasn't it? And, it does look pretty dark those times....

The Dreamer.
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
Post Reply Post Reply
Over 10 years on my CPAP machine. I have been using bottled distilled water all the time. I had tried filtered tap water when I first started, but didn't like the mineral deposit tap water left behind or the 'pink stuff' some of you had mentioned.

I always tried to have a couple of gallons of bottle distilled water on hand, so I have never ran out when I want to refill my machine. I have forgot to refill the water reservoir and ran it dry. Distilled water leaves it clean with no residue, so I can just pour the distilled water right back in.

btw: I have a wine refrigerator to store my wine collection. That one use a small tray reservoir of water to keep the moisture inside. I use filter tap water for that and I can see the mineral deposit every time I add more water to the reservoir. Here is fine but not for my CPAP machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 94 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,810 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,373 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.