Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What would you do in this situation?
RE: What would you do in this situation?
Hi dugdale,
I’m not sure how this works in your country.  Since there is no cost to you, it sort of sounds like they could take the machine back.  

You seem unsure as what to do.  I would try to sleep without for 2 or 3 days.  I think it would become clear to you if you need Cpap therapy or not.  I have a feeling you won’t be feeling so great after a couple days.   Dont-know

If they give you a choice, I think you should keep the machine.  If they take it back, you may have to finance your own machine.  Like I said, a few nights without would tell the story.

Good luck.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think HalfAsleep has hit on an important point. The AHI only measures the number of apneas and hypopneas. It doesn't mention the duration. Five 10 second apneas an hour is not bad at all. Five 60 second apneas will cause substantial problems. So you need to interrogate the sleep study report to see what's going on regarding durations.

In general, I concur with the advice above - don't volunteer to return the machine, hang on to it as long as possible. You could (on the QT) try a week without the machine to see how it goes, but I suspect you'll find you sleep and live better with the machine than without it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could you use the machine with relaxed pressure for a few days so you can still record the night on Sleepyhead? Then you can analyze your sleep quality when the machine isn't giving you treatment.

Since I'm a newbie, I have no idea how to set the machine so it would record the night on the SD but not give you treatment, but I'm sure someone will have an idea.

----

Also, I think you might want to check the waveforms on Sleepyhead. The software will highlight your events, but not your "almost events".  You could be struggling with every other breath and never know it until you look at your flow.

Also, I'm guessing, look at the SleepyHead chart that shows flow limit. You may not be having full fledged events, but still have impediments to easy breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would also recommend keeping and continuing to use your machine. Even if you have mild apnea, you will still end up tired and exhausted over time. If your AHI had been 5 or less, then yes, you could consider abandoning the usage.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dugdale,
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS! on your weight loss.!
Why give up the therapy if you don't have to? Try to keep the machine, if you can't, get one of your own to continue on with the therapy.
I wish you good luck on your decision.
Hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] Help to understand current situation and OSCAR data 3dkid14 0 277 01-18-2024, 04:21 AM
Last Post: 3dkid14
  [Diagnosis] Unique situation, wondering if anyone could elaborate on my study kc90 6 561 12-27-2023, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  In my situation (described within) which is better: S9 or Aircurve 10? erouting 7 697 08-14-2023, 05:20 PM
Last Post: erouting
  [Pressure] I need some advice with my sleep apnea situation. cpap2994 4 670 05-14-2023, 02:20 AM
Last Post: Llort
  Bit of a unique situation not sure how to proceed SleepyIntern 9 1,080 08-08-2022, 09:11 PM
Last Post: SleepyIntern
  Airfit N30i vs Dreamwear nasal - weird situation with N30i koala1 2 1,567 01-07-2022, 01:52 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Interesting situation (financial) Broomstick 7 1,277 01-31-2020, 12:06 AM
Last Post: farnsy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.