Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Where does the air go?
RE: Where does the air go?
In the end it all goes back where it came from, the atmosphere; most by exhalation, some by the other route.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2019, 05:54 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 01:50 PM)jomama Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 01:34 PM)Melman Wrote: the pressurized air flows down the windpipe.

So...where does the air go once it flows down the windpipe?

Not all of it goes down the windpipe.  Sometimes it goes in the stomach.  And then you fart.  Or belch.

And that's why this forum and OSCAR are so important.

My first machine only had a counter showing how many hours it was turned on.  If my gut was sore, or I tooted for a long while, I didn't know why.
I bought my current machine used. 
Thank heaven it has an SD card built in.
thank heaven I found this forum, and started to learn more. 
thank heaven OSCAR is easy to install on my computer. I can quickly check to see how long I slept, whether I had bad leakage, and whether this is a trend from day to day that I need to solve. This is all information available if I read my SD card record using OSCAR.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't care what anybody says that air goes into your lungs, down to your stomach, from there into you bowels and blows our your A$$. I was at 28/24 and that air would blow out of me all night. I could belch like never in my life. some nights I wore man diapers because of the anal explosions I was having.

Since I have been on this site I have lowered my settings to 19/15 and have not experienced the same reactions, only some after BiPap belching and far less intestinal eruptions. I do believe it is causing diarrhea from pushing stomach contents through me faster... LOL

At IPAP 7, yea I could see no effect on air trapping in the stomach or pushing into the bowels.

Crank up your machine to 28-30 IPAP and you will be gulping air like crazy...LOL Dielaughing

Sleep-well
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply
I just started my CPAP therapy (Dec 31 2019), rang in the new year with CPAP.  Smile Smile
Catching up on the concepts. Found this post quite helpful and here is what I understand

Say we are using CPAP at fixed pressure of 10. For this the CPAP machine maintains a ref flow rate R. All of this flow goes out the vent but it serves the purpose of maintaining the pressure and keeping the airway open.

Then when we inhale (diaphram collapses, lung expands) the flow rate increases, ie CPAP senses the inhalation and increases the flow rate. this increase is basically the air we breathe in. This increase will look like a sine wave (with very small amplitude) over the inhalation time...  
Then the CPAP will be back to its ref flow rate R for exhale. During this phase the diaphram expands back, lungs compress and breathes out air). This is equal to what we breathed in... and now this breathe out air combines with the CPAP flow rate R and both go out through the vent.. 

Is my understanding correct ?
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine maintains pressure, not flow rate. If you are exhaling enough to maintain pressure at the vents, the machine’s flow can go briefly to zero or even potentially negative. In other words, there can even be slight backflow, though exhaled air won’t make it far down the hose before being flushed back out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2020, 01:38 AM)arunjb Wrote: I just started my CPAP therapy (Dec 31 2019), rang in the new year with CPAP.  Smile Smile
Catching up on the concepts. Found this post quite helpful and here is what I understand

Say we are using CPAP at fixed pressure of 10. For this the CPAP machine maintains a ref flow rate R. All of this flow goes out the vent but it serves the purpose of maintaining the pressure and keeping the airway open.

Then when we inhale (diaphram collapses, lung expands) the flow rate increases, ie CPAP senses the inhalation and increases the flow rate. this increase is basically the air we breathe in. This increase will look like a sine wave (with very small amplitude) over the inhalation time...  
Then the CPAP will be back to its ref flow rate R for exhale. During this phase the diaphram expands back, lungs compress and breathes out air). This is equal to what we breathed in... and now this breathe out air combines with the CPAP flow rate R and both go out through the vent.. 

Is my understanding correct ?

Very good description! With your Resmed Airsense 10 and the free OSCAR software, you can even go further to understand this.  Your CPAP has exhale pressure relief (EPR) that can reduce pressure during exhale from 0 to 3 cm.  The not so big secret is that this is actually a bilevel machine with limited pressure support (difference in pressure between inhale and exhale)  If you want to visualize it, take a look at your OSCAR charts for Flow Rate (respiration) and Mask Pressure (CPAP pressure). This is what you will see, a modified sine wave for both respiration and CPAP pressure.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4258]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Note that the mask pressure wave is Resmed’s “Easy Breathe” algorithm with EPR/PS.

For Respironics Flex, that mask pressure waveform would look sort of inverted compared to Resmed, with a greater percentage of the cycle spent at IPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2020, 01:38 AM)arunjb Wrote: Then when we inhale (diaphram collapses, lung expands) the flow rate increases, ie CPAP senses the inhalation and increases the flow rate. this increase is basically the air we breathe in.

Hold your hand near the exhalation port. You can feel the flow rate change as you inhale and exhale. You feel the intentional leak rate change.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for asking that question. This was really interesting to read!
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.