Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Which Travel CPAP Machine should I get? + a few other questions
RE: Which Travel CPAP Machine should I get? + a few other questions
(08-07-2020, 03:06 PM)WWu777 Wrote: Quick question about the masks:

I've decided that the type of mask that fits me best and is most comfortable is the type with the plugs that go into your nostrils only and doesn't cover your mouth or nose. What kind of mask is that called? If that's the type that works best for me, which brand and make/model do you all recommend?

Also, someone who wears a mask that covers both his nose and mouth told me that he doesn't need a humidifier because the moisture from his mouth gets recycled back into his throat because of the closed mouth and nose piece. Is that generally true for everyone? Just wondering.

Thanks. Sorry for the delay in my replies. Been very busy with stuff lately.

Hi, Resmed do have a nasal pillows mask P30i that has the "plugs" that seal in your nose. Or alternatively the N30i that cushions against nose.
The cushion is interchangeable with the headgear
Link to explanation between 2 cushions:
sleepright.com.au/cpap-masks/what-is-the-difference-between-the-resmed-airfit-p30i-and-resmed-airfit-n30i/
Post Reply Post Reply
The "Bleep" is the only mask that uses adhesive. The P10 is what I recommend to those that don't have significant mouth breathing. It is minimalistic, has minimal headgear and the pillows rest/seal on the outside of the nares of the nose.

Nasal prongs are common in Oxygen delivery systems.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2020, 03:00 PM)WWu777 Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 09:11 AM)booksfan Wrote: I preface this by saying that this is my personal experience.

While it is true that a CPAP does not count against your carry-on allowance on aircraft in the US, that is not always the case abroad. I used to travel with Airsense 10 (in its case, clearly labeled as a medical device), and flew in/out of a number of European airports without any problems. Until Stockholm. I was told I could not carry on 3 items. I pointed out my CPAP was a medical device, but they still made me pack it in my rollaboard. After that trip, I bought my AirMini, which fits in a softside lunchbox. The lunchbox will fit in my purse/tote, backpack, or rollaboard, whichever I have on a particular trip if need be.

Also, yes, the AirMini is MUCH noisier than the Airsense which is completely silent. However, I hacked the hose to be able to use my Bleep mask, and that had the unexpected benefit of SIGNIFICANTLY reducing the noise level! Win-win!

You mean using a different hose reduces the noise of the AirMini? What kind of hoses are quiet? How do you know which hoses will be quieter before you buy them?

Btw, someone I talked to who uses the AirMini said that you can buy an adaptor for it that lets you use it with any hoses or masks, so that you don't have to buy Resmed branded ones. Is that so? Where can you get that adaptor? On Amazon? Does your supplier offer it? If so, it will solve the problem of the AirMini drawback of not being compatible with generic hoses and masks.

No you can't use a different hose. You have to use the house it comes with or the adaptor you were told about. I modified the hose by cutting it off at the HME and using a different kind of adaptor so I can use my Bleep mask. Now the short hose of my Bleep slips on to the modified Air Mini hose and I can used my preferred mask (or any other mask if I chose to). With the added benefit of significantly reduced noise! And is the adaptor I used came in a multi-pack from a large worldwide retailer that starts with A. They're basically to connect two different size hoses.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2020, 05:45 PM)bonjour Wrote: The P10 is what I recommend to those that don't have significant mouth breathing.  It is minimalistic, has minimal headgear and the pillows rest/seal on the outside of the nares of the nose.

I have used the Airfit P10 for a long time and the pillows rest/seal inside the nostril, not outside. My nose is pretty normal northern European design, and the best seal for me is the medium pillow. The small works too, but tends to leak. The large won't seal at all because they are too big to get inside the nostrils.
Post Reply Post Reply
JJJ then obviously mine are not fitting properly. That it we obviously have a different definition of the difference between on and in.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with JJJ. a small portion of the cushion must be inside the nares to seal

I thought I was just weird because I have to wear the p10 & my collar tighter than conventional wisdom recommends. that includes nasal penetration with my p10.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2020, 04:58 PM)elwoodpdowd Wrote: I have the XT Auto APAP/CPAP along with the humidifier for travel.  I also have the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset at home.

For me the XT has been great.  It has it's own internal power converter (unlike the Resmed where the corde converts to DC prior to plugging it into the machine for example).

If you are just looking to use it without the humidifier it's just as good and doesn't take up much room.  With the humidifier I would use the carry case that is provided.

The machine is quiet, easy to setup and only have to plug it into the wall.

The downside is if you want to use a battery backup while travelling it's not the best on the list.  You would most likely need a power inverter to run it off a battery.

The price was right and for me not too big of a loss if something happens.

That one looks to be the cheapest. Does it work with OSCAR?

Btw, do CPAPs have filters that you have to change? If so, how often do you have to change them? Are the filters custom or interchangeable?
Post Reply Post Reply
Update:

Ok I finally decided to get the Z2 Auto CPAP because it's a lot quieter it seems and has a muffler and an improved design. 

This Australian CPAP supplier and reviewer also recommends Z2 in this review below of the top travel CPAPs.

[Video Containing a Commercial Link Removed] Search Youtube for, Z2 CPAP Review

Here's his explanation of the differences between the type of CPAP masks to choose from.

Unfortunately, it does not appear that Z2 supports OSCAR. Oh well. You can't win them all.

Btw, I got a question about the masks. They appears to cost around $100. If I can get a cheaper one on Ebay, is that alright? I mean it seems like a simple gadget with a simple function, as long as it doesn't leak and is made of silicone, then it should work fine right?

Another question: I saw this external battery for CPAP on the Second Wind CPAP store that looks cool. It looks like it can power a CPAP machine for one or two nights, on a camping trip or on an airplane even, when no outlet is available. 

It looks the same as an external battery to charge your phone though. Couldn't I just use an external phone charger to power my CPAP too? Or is that not enough power?

Btw, I was wondering, on airplanes they usually have USB slots in front of your seat so you can charge your phone now. Is that USB slot enough to power a travel CPAP machine? Or not enough? Anyone try it before? Hope that's not a stupid question. Was just curious about it.

Last question: What is a BIPAP and VPAP? I saw it in the online CPAP stores too. Do I need to worry about that? Are those any better than CPAP? I tried to read the description for what a BIPAP and VPAP were but it was way too technical and I couldn't figure out what they were. Can anyone explain in laymen's terms what those are? Sorry if this is a stupid question. But all these terms are intimidating.

Thanks.

-----
Moderator Action: Video Containing a Commercial Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
I used a ResMed mini for a couple years and really loved the size, weight, and it's very quiet. However, you are limited to the type of masks you can wear with it and unfortunately I can not wear any of the types that fit this machine. I use a Dreamwear mask and had to "modify" the connections to make this mask fit.  It got to be a pain in the butt to take apart, clean, reassemble, etc.  So I just purchased the Z2auto specifically because you can wear any type of mask with it. I have not used it yet as I am just setting it up, but my mask fits, it is real quiet and light weight.   Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
Update:

Just got my Z2 Auto CPAP. It looks great. Good as new. However, I have a few questions and a problem issue. I'll email the supplier about it too of course, but I was wondering if any of you experienced the same or if it's normal.

1. The instruction guide says to change the filter every month. But I remember you guys said you can just wash the filter and reuse it long term. Am I right or did I misunderstand or misremember what you folks said about it?

Where do I get replacement filters? What's the easiest way? 

Also I can't open the top to even see the filter. It seems dammed shut. I don't want to force it and risk breaking it.

2. What's the ramp pressure thing? Do I need to mess with it? Do most people just ignore it?

3. The problem issue is that the apap setting worked at first. It was set at apap 2 (the default setting) and when I put on the mask the pressure readings were varying between 13 and 14 range up and down. But when I manually set the pressure range from 7 to 20, as the forum members here suggested, and as the YouTube tutorial videos instructed, all of a sudden the CPAP pressure became fixed. It stayed at 7 throughout the whole night and wouldn't budge. And yes I made sure it was on apap 2 and not cpap mode. When I tried to change it back to the original settings between 5 and 7 it then remained stuck at 5. It seems to always remain stuck at the lowest setting. It seems the apap worked in the beginning but once I changed the range of high and low values, the auto mode no longer works, not even if I put it back to the original range. 

How did that happen? Is this a software bug? I certainly hope it's not a hardware problem. Any of you experienced this before? 

4. Should I try to reset the firmware by downloading it from the manufacturer's site?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 378 11 hours ago
Last Post: Matsu1
  Travel ResMed recommendations PinehillJoe 10 194 04-17-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: labrat
  EPR questions juniper 5 199 04-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 178 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,389 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Is there a quiet travel CPAP? mcman56 1 89 04-15-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 228 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.