Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Who has multiple machines?
Who has multiple machines?
Getting my first machine, and wondering what the issues/benefits/other factors of sleeping other places are going to be. Initially, I thought I'd want a smaller travel unit...or at least a 2nd unit to put at my GF's house, instead of lugging around one. BUT....I hear others that just take one everywhere. What do you do?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Who has multiple machines?
Well, hour profile shows a Resmed Airsense 11 with some pretty generic settings. Download OSCAR and we can help you get where you need to be for settings and comfort.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2022, 08:56 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Well, hour profile shows a Resmed Airsense 11 with some pretty generic settings.  Download OSCAR and we can help you get where you need to be for settings and comfort.

As I posted earlier, the machine is enroute. When it arrives, I'll be able to post actual data from my unit. I'm asking to find out who uses multiple machines, why they do, and the benefits/drawbacks that they've found. That's a personal experience question, not a downloaded-data one.
Post Reply Post Reply
I understand your excitement. 

Fewer new threads will limit frustration. There are experts here who give their time free to really help others.
When you post your data you will also get help.

You've started a number of threads with questions that you could likely find responses to by doing a keyword search and reading through what folks have posted.

Ex: The pinned thread of success stories provides lots of insight into what people have tried and what worked for them.

Take some time to read through previous posts. 
Take time to read the wiki.

With an AHI of 40+ there is no OTC gimmick that is going to significantly improve your sleep or reduce your health risks. 
There's no reason to doubt your diagnosis or need for cpap/bilevel treatment.

The decision to buy a second machine is very individual. Many people feel the convenience is worth the cost and they like having a backup.
I don't feel the need or want to spend the money.
There are previous threads with details.
Post Reply Post Reply
First, get your machine, get a good-fitting and functional mask (that can often take a lot of trial and error), and get your settings tweaked. Once you are comfortable with the machine and confidant that you have the right machine, you can start looking for a back up machine. Having a back up machine is handy if your primary machine malfunctions. It will also be handy for you to be able to leave your primary machine at home and use the back up when you travel or visit your girl friend.

If you learn enough about these machines you can find them for sale on craigslist. I have bought three different machines on craigslist, sold one, am giving two away (one of which doesn't work but parts can be salvaged), and bought three different machines using my insurance. This is all in an 11-year period.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree - the first thing to do is get a good setup with the primary machine - Since my doc said that (pretty much all) the DME's are awful about getting out the first unit, and that it might be 6 weeks before mine showed up, I rented an identical unit until mine comes through....I've already got an SD card ready to install in it so I can log data and swap over to the new unit when it arrives.

After I get experience with the AirSense 11...including how much effort it is to move from place to place, I'll have more info on what I might need as a travel / backup / second unit.

Thanks for the feedback.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2022, 11:15 PM)Brazen Wrote: With an AHI of 40+ there is no OTC gimmick that is going to significantly improve your sleep or reduce your health risks. 
There's no reason to doubt your diagnosis or need for cpap/bilevel treatment.

Absolutely right - I didn't know that I even had an issue until my GF informed me that I snored badly - I looked into some OTC 'remedies' like BreatheRight strips, ZQuiet, chin strap, etc....but getting the SnoreLab app and seeing that data, listening to the samples got me convinced to see the doc for a diagnosis and starting a treatment plan.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an old ResMed S9 that I keep as a spare.
But for traveling, I just pack up my 10 AutoSet in its travel bag, and off I go. No big deal.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Always at least try to keep a "backup" machine, I am one of those unfortunate individuals that always does extremely poorly without a CPAP I always have a backup. How bad is it? I had to take a Sleep Test when I first started using Medicare. I talked my doctor in making it a split study. Why a split study? two reasons, to justify a BiLevel (Vauto) and because I NEEDED at least half the night on a PAP so I could get some rest. Well I "Slept" for 111 hr and 59 minutes, 1 minute short of the two hr requirement for a diagnostic test when I woke at 6AM (I ALWAYS sleep in) The Tech fudged it saying I definitely had sleep apnea, well duhhhh!!!. AHI 77 in that less than 2 hour period, down from the mid 90s in my original diagnostic study. I went to my car and "rested for 2 hrs before I felt near well enough to drive ( I wasn't ready) then went home and slept the day on my PAP. I'd rather pull an all-nighter than try to sleep without my PAP so a backup machine is essential for me.

For travel I always have taken my primary machine. until recently, Having replaced my VAuto with another at 5+ years, I now travel with my old, identically setup VAuto. Bottom line you can use any machine for a backup because you intend to use your main machine's replacement as the primary once it comes in. Even if Im not getting Optimal therapy, I'm getting enough to get by, and Ill tweak it to improve if I need to use it on a regular basis.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome!

The decision about whether to have a travel machine is an individual one. My husband just takes his home machine (AirSense 10 AutoSet) along when we travel. After a problem in Copenhagen when gate attendants told me my CPAP (AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her) counted as a THIRD item regardless of it being clearly labeled as a medical device and being told to check or consolidate my items, I came home and bought an AirMini. I have traveled with the AirMini ever since. It fits in a soft-sided lunchbox, then in my purse or backpack (whichever I happen to be carrying that trip). I like the smaller package. And I have it set EXACTLY the same as my home machine. It is louder than my home machine, but I actually hacked the hose to be able to use my Bleep mask, which had the added benefit of significantly reducing noise level, so really only a bit louder. I keep the lunchbox packed and ready to go, so it's convenient.

All that said, a backup machine is a good idea, as are backup supplies. The replacement schedule for things like hoses, humidifier chambers, etc. tends to be way too frequent for most people, but it's a good idea to get one full set of everything to have, just in case. Think how awful it would be to go to bed on Friday night, realize your hose has a leak and you have to wait until Monday to get a new one, which means 3 nights without your machine! The supplies are easy, as they are covered by insurance. For some people, a backup machine is more difficult if it is an out-of-pocket cost. But nice to have.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 76 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 673 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 498 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Trouble with multiple masks jlpool 5 699 11-28-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 595 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines britincanada 505 83,139 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Sad Big Regression - high resp rates prior to multiple wake ups a night FordGuy84 10 859 11-06-2023, 12:25 PM
Last Post: FordGuy84

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.