Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why APAP if Sleep Study result is 3.5 < 5AHI
RE: Why APAP if Sleep Study result is 3.5 < 5AHI
(06-24-2021, 07:25 AM)Ratchick Wrote: OH absolutely - I don't think anyone here is denying that some people just feel cruddy with a supposedly "treated" AHI.

I was one of those. To solve my problems I ended up with a VAuto and EERS. Now I sleep much better. AHI is generally less than 0.5 but I don't chase the AHI number.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why APAP if Sleep Study result is 3.5 < 5AHI
It is of course possible to have a "good" night during the sleep study. I know that if I were in a clinic, I probably would have much lower results than I actually have at home, simply because a) I would find it almost impossible to sleep there and b) even if I did sleep, I would be in that hypervigilant state that means I wouldn't sleep deeply. That would guarantee that I spent little or no time in the kind of sleep where my events REALLY kick into gear. Plus, because my particular apnea is almost completely central apart from the odd event, it can be widely different depending on the day anyway. In the space of a week, I've gone from an AHI in the 40s down to 9 (my lowest ever) and back up to 31 yesterday. That's just because centrals are inconsistent and you can never tell what you're going to get. And it's happened to multiple people on here that they've only slept for a short time, or in the position that has less apnea, and have been underscored. But generally, they can't just put everyone on CPAP and see what's happening, without a reason, because like every medical therapy, CPAP carries its own risks. What I find more frustrating are doctors who are so focused on AHI and usage and nothing else. Or who dismiss how much harm central apnea can do when untreated. I feel like if you don't sleep enough during a study, you should be able to retest. The home tests aren't quite as accurate, because they tend not to have an EEG, but if they have breathing effort bands as well as measuring the pulse oximetry and nasal airflow, then it's good enough to get a better idea at home for initial diagnosis. After that, then yes... what is shown on your CPAP data should be taken into account, not just the initial sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 3 100 9 hours ago
Last Post: sabletaurus
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,345 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,215 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 140 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 122 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 217 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 355 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.