Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What should a normal flow rate and pulse rate look like?
What should a normal flow rate and pulse rate look like?
I'd like to see some sort of 'ideal' reference charts for OSCAR
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What should a normal flow rate and pulse rate look like?
Here is a chart showing breathing pattern morphology:

[Image: E950CAC1DC874B2C9559D5FEBD17E782.jpg]

Pulse rate depends on several factors.  If you are in good health, not under duress or stress, not awake, your heart rate might be as low as 45 BPM, even lower if you're a reasonably fit person who walks regularly and maybe plays sports two or three times each week.  On the other hand, if you are ill, under duress or stress, alert or 'aroused' due to pressures in daily life, or are obese and have significant heart disease, you might sleep with a BP nearer to 75.

Heart rate also varies during REM sleep.  Dreams carry a certain weight, whether emotional or just their virtual reality (realizing that you are flying, falling, fleeing, having intimate relations...you get the idea), so your heart will reflect your interest or fear, or excitement.
Post Reply Post Reply
I need to see some heartrate graphs, I dont know if random spikes all night are normal or apnea related
Post Reply Post Reply
Spikes are frequently related to sensor movement.

Pulse rate is not an ECG and thus in very simple but will vary for a variety of reasons such as those Sleeprider mentioned.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a few, but if I zoom in, the spikes are kinda drawn out a while

https://imgur.com/a/YXtgAuF
Post Reply Post Reply
suddenly got in for a bipap/asv titration, anything I should bring up? or concerns I should have?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think most of it is covered in your "BiPAP is making my CSA Worse" thread. You have high event rates and feel tired all the time, but your events are spaced out through the night (common in central apnea) in a way that you might actually find periods of good efficacy with CPAP or bilevel, however, those periods of good therapy are not predictable or linear with a correlation to pressure. This is common with people needing a backup rate.

Express your desire for a titration goal that of course minimizes AHI and arousals, but also periodic breathing. Ask to try ASV early in the test. Consider covertly taking a sleep aid to ensure you get enough sleep because your tolerance of the test environment and PAP in general is very limited. If possible ask your regular physician for a small quantity of sleep medication.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
woops, I ment to post in the other one. Interesting you brought up a sleep aid, I also came across ambien as being a potential cure for central sleep apnea.  from the wiki https://www.aafp.org/afp/2012/1115/p968.html  but then I wonder how that would affect hyponeas
Post Reply Post Reply
I would want to know ahead of the test. Don't go in and try the sleep aid for the first time at the clinic.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2023, 12:12 AM)ImAlwaysTiredd Wrote: I need to see some heartrate graphs, I dont know if random spikes all night are normal or apnea related

I think you mean you'd like to see a typical ECG printout...?  They are wherever you google 'how to read an ecg'.  Note that those are under almost ideal circumstances, including the patient lying supine, not under duress, hands by her side, and the technician says, 'Ok, lie still now....I'm going to take a reading."  What a machine of that caliber would show for a person going through the stages of sleep, and who knows what kind of day or week they've had, is anyone's guess. It would show a great deal more variability than the one taken at a clinic with a patient who is awake.

However, if you mean you have a suspected arrhythmia, or palpitations at times when lying in bed, you'd have to go through at least a six-lead ECG, perhaps a Holter Monitor, and you'd have to wear that device from mid-afternoon through to breakfast the next day, perhaps as long as a full week.  What you would be looking for is atrial fibrillation.  AF is characterized by the absence of a P-wave, and varied distances between the QRS complexes that follow the P-waves.  Varying rates of QRS mean atrial fibrillation.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 7 224 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 0 20 1 hour ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 238 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,216 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 211 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 305 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.