Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why nose or mouth or both ?
Why nose or mouth or both ?
Hi all, newbie here, what were the circumstances where you chose to use a specific appliance like a mask or nose pillow ? Was it a clinical one or a personal one?
 I’m just starting my own CPAP journey and I often find I’ve got a cold or just a blocked nose and I’d like to have options because I seem to breath differently on different nights. Do I have to buy a few masks and just swap them ?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why nose or mouth or both ?
Hi Micheal.M

Lots of args for each mask type.

Full face Pro: no mouth leaks, could breath by nose and mouth
Full face Con: highter risk of leaks, harder to adjust, bulky, skin iritations

Pillow nasal mask Pro: easy to fit and less leaks, light
Pillow nasal mask Con: risk of mouth leaks (lots of solutions for that)

The best is trying, lots of place with free 30days returns. Check on youtube, you'll find lots of reviews. And after if you have some points to clarify you have a good community here for helping you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started with an FFM then went to a nasal mask which I used for years, then to smaller nasal masks that were less restrictive, finally ending with the P10 Pillow mask. Along the way, I changed my habits from being a mouth breather to a nasal breather.

I used to state that all PAP users should have both an FFM for those 'difficult' times with congestion even though my primary mask was nasal. Now I just let physics manage my congestion. It is hard, and I often swear that it will not work this time, and I'll give just 5 more minutes. The Pressure will eventually break thru the congestion and once it does it is clear sailing for the rest of the night. BUT I definitely on occasion get so stuffed up that I swear that this will never work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for that information Biorn.
Yes Im sure I will come back often with questions and ideas.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for that Gideon, I’m in the same situation with congestion.
I wonder if they can make the appliance more user friendly rather than the user learning new ways to breathe ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Humidifier and hotted hose help a lot to solve congestion problems.

nasal pillow help to open the nose airway contrary to ffm
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tips.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 12 1 hour ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 359 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 311 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 147 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.