Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wife tried machine, lots of flow limitations?!
RE: Wife tried machine, lots of flow limitations?!
My wife mentioned she still felt tired waking up this morning (after 10 hours of sleep...), I assume this is from the remaining flow limitations.

Interestingly, it doesn't seem like the flow limitations go away when the machine ramps up its pressure, or rather it took a long time at that elevated pressure before they went away.

I assume the best next step is to set a higher minimum pressure (which she already did in the morning, setting it to 10.0 - 15.0)

[Image: Ee1HELn.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Let her try your Vauto with EPAP min 5.0, PS 4, max pressure 12.0 EPAP. Can you handle the swap?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh man, I bet that'll be extra rough for me.

She now got scheduled for an official CPAP titration and is waiting on the machine to take home for 5 days. Given her AHI is low I assume there's no way she'd qualify for a BiPAP even if the increased PS would help her?

Tonight we tried a higher minimum pressure (11 - 15) and overall the stats looked the same, similar amount of flow limitations. I did notice that her respiration rate and tidal volume have been considerably more stable looking at the graph.

She did mention breathing out has become more difficult at the higher pressure.

[Image: RMvcbiK.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
I really don't worry too much with 95% flow limitation below 0.1, and hers is 0.06-0.07, and there was no change in that moving to higher pressure. It's really more important to listen to the subjective comfort levels she is communicating to you. You are absolutely right that CPAP will be found effective, and it is. We could be looking at issues that will self-resolve as she adapts and becomes more comfortable with the machine. We can observe a significant improvement from her first night and objectively, her best results and comfort were with the 10-12 pressure range. We never did see minimum pressures at 8 or 9 cm. She started at 5-6 and I think went straight to 10 cm minimum. I would suggest going back and looking at the settings history and relating that to comfort and results, then perhaps backing off the minimum pressure a bit.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
She changed the settings to 6-12, I'll recommend trying minimum of 8.

She mentions she still feels just as tired as before. I wonder if the flow limitations are pointing to UARS?

It seems weird that they don't seem to respond at all to pressure... is this common? Does this point to her airways just generally being very narrow but not collapsing?

In her sleep study, they identified an AHI of 8.3 all being hypopneas and 0.4/h RERAs. I wonder if her current results are actually meaningfully different from without the machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see a problem with the lower pressure she is proposing. Let her try it, but make the minimum 7.0 to leave room for EPR 3. This is HER therapy not yours. You can help to look at the results and if you observe obstruction, suggest the solution is to use a higher minimum pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Makes sense on minimum 7 for EPR.

One other thing; her AHI is good at all pressures, making me wonder if the sleep study could have been flawed and somehow incorrectly flagged all those 8 hypopneas/h? How accurate is hypopnea measurement through the nasal cannulas? Is the threshold maybe different and what it picked up was just the flow limitations she still has?
Post Reply Post Reply
The sleep study flow rate is a reliable measure of respiratory flow, but many people are intolerant of the clinical sleep setting and do not have a "normal" night. Hypopnea is a fairly significant event, right behind apnea. When hypopnea are present, flow limitation and the associated respiratory event related arousal (RERA) are almost always present as well. Insurance is only concerned with apnea and hypopnea to provide a measure of medical necessity, but RERA can be a debilitating sleep breathing disorder that causes fatigue and poor sleep architecture. As you know, we can have relatively low AHI event rates but still have poor sleep. CPAP, especially with EPR addresses that problem insurance and many doctors ignore.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Her RERAs were scored at just 0.4/h, which is the other reason I was wondering if she may not actually have an issue w/ her breathing?
Post Reply Post Reply
She showed a high REM AHI and RDI but maintained a consistently high SpO2. I seriously doubt there is a pulmonary or breathing issue, and would not attempt to diagnose it, if I thought one was present. Give it time.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to all. Have lots of ?? DudleyDoRight 7 182 5 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 15 725 10 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 11 369 11 hours ago
Last Post: earnerd
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 74 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 296 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Is This Flow Limitation Cause for Concern? bertchintus 4 268 04-15-2024, 08:27 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,370 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.