Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Woke up choking, concerned about vents
Woke up choking, concerned about vents
So I've been using a CPAP for half a year and it's going great, I have like 10x the amount of energy. I've been using a pressure of 9-13, with an EPR of 2 and humidity set to auto.

However, last night I had a scary incident where I woke up unable to breathe. I have a full face (F20), so I immediately unhooked the hose. After a minute I hooked it back up, and fell back asleep.

I looked at the OSCAR charts and while I see where I unhooked it, I don't see anything before. I only had a single event and that was over an hour before the incident. I have two ideas. The first is that I ate right before bed, and I know that is a GERD risk. Before my CPAP I did have half a dozen incidents years before the CPAP where I woke up choking like that and I eventually connected it to GERD and stopped eating late. My other concern though is that I am wearing a full face mask. The F20's vents are spread around the hose, but I side sleep, which could block some of them. Is it possible that my hand somehow accidentally covered the rest of the vents and the C02 built up?

I have attached 3 pictures of OSCAR: the main stats for the night, the other stats, and the main stats for an hour period around the incident. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Woke up choking, concerned about vents
I don't see anything in this chart that reflects your experience. I don't doubt it was real, but there is not even a breath spike or change in volumes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Woke up choking, concerned about vents
Sleeprider, thanks for confirming that. At this point I'm wondering if the machine could have had some sort of temporary power failure. I looked at the charts again and realized the time it wasn't recording was over 4 minutes, which seems a bit long considering that I never even fully woke up. I just popped out the tube and once I had caught my breath popped it back in and fell immediately back asleep. I was not even awake enough to notice if the machine was functioning when I removed the tube. I guess there's no way to know though.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New To CPAP. Woke up A LOT. Felt Worse than before CPAP MrDezee 5 216 06-27-2024, 09:05 PM
Last Post: MrDezee
  Picked up ResMed 10 today, concerned about ability to reset flow rates NewlyDiagnosed 10 540 04-08-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 1,057 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 1,161 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
  Should I Be Concerned? breathingeasy 4 509 01-09-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Gross [Equipment] HELP! Heat & Humidity settings are Choking Me! James87 3 560 12-21-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: James87
  New to CPAP, just used OSCAR for the first time, should I be concerned?(Cheyne Stoke) breckenk 23 2,779 11-20-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: breckenk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.