Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Woke up to burning smell, ran out of water
RE: Woke up to burning smell, ran out of water
Periodically I've let the humidification chamber run dry. When I do I wake in the morning with a mild burning sensation in both nostrils. My nose produces copious watery secretions for a day or 2. This is a mistake I don't want to repeat.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've experienced similar smells. I found Resmed AirSense 10 humidifiers the worst for quickly drying out. However, the bigger issue here is given how expensive these machines are, why don't they have an autosensing dryness warning indictator and shut down the heater when it senses no water. Geesh.
Post Reply Post Reply
This just happened to me with the new Dreamstation 2. OMG it stinks!! How long until the smell goes away?
Post Reply Post Reply
That is weird. I run mine dry most days and never smell anything.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
I expect her humidity setting is set to zero, so it wouldn't be heating the humidifier chamber to begin with. If it's not being heated, and it has no water in it there wouldn't be any effect whatsoever. I agree that the most likely explanation is some kind of residue in the tank and cleaning it will probably help. That being said, If you regularly use a particular product to clean it, then it may be worth trying a different product as that's the most likely thing other than the water itself to be leaving a residue.

- Neelix
Post Reply Post Reply
This is my unfortunate saga. I live in a very dry climate, so running out of water before I wake up (and thus waking up to the smell of burning popcorn) is a daily juggle/struggle.

I've learned that distilled water is better. My filtered tap water has too many minerals, and when the water has evaporated away the minerals remain and cook on the bottom of the humidifier tub, making the smell worse. When I use distilled water, it doesn't smell as soon nor as bad.

I am in the habit that if I wake up in the middle of the night or early morning, I refill my tub so I can get more hours of sleep.

I really wish CPAP makers would have an XL humidifier tub option for those of us who live in arid climates.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2021, 05:10 AM)Neelix Wrote: I expect her humidity setting is set to zero,  so it wouldn't be heating the humidifier chamber to begin with.   If it's not being heated, and it has no water in it there wouldn't be any effect whatsoever.

If you mean me, I have my humidity set as high as possible.  It's quite dry where I live.  I assume that is why I run out of water before I wake up almost all of the time.  My tank never smells or burns.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
That was in response to the OP, but I now can't find the message I was responding to.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2021, 06:50 PM)Deborah K. Wrote: If you mean me, I have my humidity set as high as possible.  It's quite dry where I live.  I assume that is why I run out of water before I wake up almost all of the time.  My tank never smells or burns.

Do you use distilled water?
Post Reply Post Reply
I've learned that distilled water is better. "

I agree.  I tried using my well water once when I ran out of distilled.. never again.
I get the gallon jugs of distilled at W (99c each here), and cross my fingers that it's decent water.

We also run a large-room-size cold (ultrasonic) humidifier on this floor, also with that distilled water.
It brings the house humidity up so that the pap doesnt need to work as hard.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,849 Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Last Post: her.suit
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 96 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,376 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,235 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.