Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Would an ASV be better for me?
Would an ASV be better for me?
Hello sleepers and non sleepers,

This is my first post, although I have been coming to the forum for several months and have read many threads. I have been using an autoset for about 6 months now and I have been feeling better overall than before I started treatment. However, I keep getting 3-6 AHI nights (maybe 3-4 per week) and per the Resmed index it seems mostly central. I wish I could post the charts people on here use, but I have no desktop or laptop and for some reason my Resmed came without an SD Card. I can definitely feel a difference between a 2-3 AHI or less night compared to a "bad" night (all nights are better than before). I feel tired and definitely feel a difference at the office. Sometimes feel the need for a mid evening nap after work which can throw my nights off. From what I have read on the forum it seems insurance won't put you on ASV if you have an average central AHI below 5. But what would the forum members say? Would an ASV help squash those centrals? I ask because I am not dealing with insurance. I had a sleep study done on my own (which showed about 50% centrals from the apneas alone) and was able to get the APAP through a local seller using my foreign passport (it was marked for export, so no RX necessary). I have no heart issues and am generally healthy. Is getting an ASV on my own beneficial to squash those pesky centrals? I have seen similar cases on here who have gone from these numbers to having around 1 or less every night after getting an ASV, but would like the forums opinion.

THANK YOU ALL. This is a great forum with many helpful people.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Would an ASV be better for me?
As you know, the ASV is a very expensive machine, and prices are higher since the Philips recall which has dried up a lot of the surplus machines in the gray markets. If the cost is not a barrier to you, ASV will treat any and all central apnea and most people achieve consistently less than 1-AHI. The ASV will not only prevent the central apnea, but the variations in breathing rate and volume that come with being at the apneic threshold. People with even mild central apnea experience a feedback look of oscillating respiratory volume (periodic breathing) that results from CO2 rising and falling and changing respiratory drive.

You can buy a SD card from 8 to 32 GB almost anywhere very inexpensively. You will need a PC or Mac to use Oscar. Your profile shows settings of 8-20 pressure but it would help to know your EPR settings and actual median and 90% pressure during therapy. The machine sleep report will provide that, and more information is available if you change Essentials from On to Plus in the clinical settings.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your comment Sleeprider. Yes, I've seen the prices online. That is good to know! Maybe I will hold off until the Airsense 11 ASV comes out (any word on that?) Maybe there will be some good deals on a 10 ASV.

EPR settings is OFF. Pressure says 11.5, Leak 10L/min, AHI 3.8, Total AI 3.4, Central AI 3.1. Is this the information you are asking about?
Post Reply Post Reply
We have suggested that users like yourself that are self-financing, without certainty of tolerance or need for ASV consider starting on the older generation Resmed S9 Adapt. Take a look at this recent thread where we referred 'CasperTbird' to Dotmed for the S9 Adapt. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...a-Hopeless Fantastic results, and I can see there is another machine on that site for $500. No prescriptions or hassles, and might be just what you need. On Dotmed, you have to search under Respiratory/Bilevel PAP and filter for Resmed. I just noticed that in addition to the S9 Adapt, there is an Aircurve 10 ASV for $850 with 7485 hours.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.