Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Yanking off mask in middle of the night (again)
Yanking off mask in middle of the night (again)
Hi All

I've been on a CPAP for a couple of years. Started off yanking the mask and then with the help of the folks here on forum I was able to get some consistency with keeping the mask on by increasing the min pressure from 4 to 6. For the last few months I have somehow started to yank the mask off after an hour or so drifting off to sleep. I have no idea why. Consequently I wake up feeling like crap. The only thing I have done in the last few months is to cut back on alcohol, eating more greens less processed foods, etc (not that I was excessive in first place). Am not overweight by any means - was 69kg but now 67kg. 

Any help will be much appreciated. Have attached a couple of screenshots from OSCAR

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Yanking off mask in middle of the night (again)
Hard to tell what's going on, you can try increasing the min pressure to 7 and/or get a cheap nightvision camera and see whats happening, whether its you first or you get a leak first and then you yank the mask off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Flex=3 tends to be a bit more "aggressive" than other settings

Try Flex =2. That won't affect the therapeutic effectiveness of your settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Will certainly have a go with the camera
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Will get it try
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with increasing your pressure and/or adjusting flex. My guess is you're feeling air-starved.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried changing the flex to 2. Seems to be more comfortable

I tried bumping up the min pressure to 7 but was really hard to breath and felt like the machine was pushing me to breath. I am guessing 7 maybe too high ?

Is there any indication in the graphs that I am starved of air
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as I'm aware, we'd not be able to see air starvation. This is based on comments like your own and the pressure settings of 6 or less in most adults. I'm wondering if you could combine a higher pressure setting like 7 with Flex 2. Have you tried that?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I will try
Post Reply Post Reply
Just wanted to say that I have been trying with flex set to 2 and a min pressure of 6
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to keep mask throughout night Overdrawn 4 240 02-10-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Overdrawn
  Mask riding up at night robbob2112 1 319 12-22-2023, 05:58 PM
Last Post: mushroom
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  Can't keep mask on all night emash124 4 575 09-19-2023, 01:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [CPAP] Waking at night with headache, switch from nasal to full face mask. new2paphopeful 1 625 07-23-2023, 07:51 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 897 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.