Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

You want what?
RE: You want what?
The plot thickens!  Rolleyes

I contacted my DME supplier today online. They are based in Florida. I had a chat session with a female and told her what is going on, now that I'm on Medicare.

She told me that once on Medicare, the whole process starts anew. That means a new sleep study, if the initial one is too old. She went on to say that the local DME facility should have come out to get the old equipment, and then delivered a new machine and supplies. 

When I told her that I went to their office and signed paperwork for Medicare, they let me leave with my present machine. They noted a couple of numbers off the back of it and said I was good to go. She told me that it sounds as if they are not following company protocol. 

She told me that she would see her supervisor and do a follow-up with the local facility. She took my e-mail address so that she could keep me updated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Me wonders has your proof of ownership been confirmed or denied in completion of rental? It seems like you may have fulfilled ownership requirements and they'd be attempting trickery in seizure of your device.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2019, 02:26 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Me wonders has your proof of ownership been confirmed or denied in completion of rental? It seems like you may have fulfilled ownership requirements and they'd be attempting trickery in seizure of your device.

According the the gal I spoke with online, she told me that I have met the 13 months of co-pay. She went on to say that they are just waiting for the insurance company (BC/BS) to pay for two dates of service in October. 

But yes, supposedly my CPAP machine belongs to me. It sounds as if Medicare has muddied the waters by now being my primary coverage. 

I really do hope that I don't have to do another sleep study. The two in-lab studies I did were in Aug. of 2018.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your machine has been paid by BC/BS, then you should be in the clear.  It is yours, and you can continue to use it.

Medicare should now start covering the cost of supplies.  

If at any time down the road, you are ready for a new machine, then under Medicare, they “may” require a new sleep study.  Then rental and compliance would start over.

Keep us informed as to what happens as this affects so many folk differently.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2019, 02:59 PM)OpalRose Wrote: If your machine has been paid by BC/BS, then you should be in the clear.  It is yours, and you can continue to use it.

Medicare should now start covering the cost of supplies.  

If at any time down the road, you are ready for a new machine, then under Medicare, they “may” require a new sleep study.  Then rental and compliance would start over.

Keep us informed as to what happens as this affects so many folk differently.

I will do exactly that. I've been trying to call my sleep doc, and so far, have left them two voice messages asking that they call me back. So far, no luck. 

I think part of the issue is that I turned 65 around the same time that BC/BS should have paid for my machine. If there was a week or two in question, sure as shooting, they're going to make a big issue out of it.  Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep doctor's office finally called and got back to me. I was told all pertinent information regarding Medicare was sent to the local DME office. It's the one that I got my machine and supplies from initially.

My script has been renewed per Medicare's guidelines. I was told that they do not deal with any out of state office or facility. I'm referring to the DME facility in Florida that actually does the shipping of supplies to me.

I was also told that states can and do vary in regards to how things are done. Since my in-lab sleep study is only a little over 1 year old, the chances of me having to have another is little to none. That's a relief. 

So, I'm still confused as to what is going to take place and what to expect in the future. The doctor's office would not come out and tell me directly that my CPAP machine is now mine. That's still up in the air.

Anyways, I've done what I can do to make sense of all this. I'm going to take a step back and just relax a bit. The facility in Florida gave me the impression that I was due a new machine since I'm now on Medicare. Sounds as if that may not be the case after all.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
The only thing you need to find out is if you own your machine. You have no allegiance to your DME if you do. If that is confirmed, there is no ‘now that you are on medicare’ except for supplies.

You can go to the medicare.gov, (maybe social security I forgot where The DME list is located), website and find another DME if you want.

Your DME would love to get paid for another machine by Medicare.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
Muddy waters indeed. Hope you ride the storm safe.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.