Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

a little help?
a little help?
Sadunsure:..I'm new to this site and a new cpap user. I have had my machine less than 2 weeks. I am having trouble keeping it on at night. I must wear it a minimum of 4 hours each day/night. I am waking up to find that I have pulled it off during the night....I'm afraid i'm not compliant with the 4hr/night rule! My question is....Is the machine able to tell if I actually have my mask on or not???
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: a little help?
From what I know form the machines, some can tell if you are not wearing it. I have had patients who have had insurance companies take their machines away as a result of being non-compliant and then had them have another sleep study in order to requalify (Which is horsecrud!!). When I am monitoring people sleep, I see many people inadvertently removing their mask. Lets face it, many people are not used to sleeping with something on their face let alone something that blows air into them. I think some machines even have an alarm that alerts you to when you remove the mask. You may ask your DME to turn that on so you will be aware when you remove the mask by accident. If this continues to be a problem, talk to your doctor about it so they figure out alternatives or at least keep the insurance company wolves at bay while you acclimate.
Post Reply Post Reply
HI janda1976 and welcome to Apnea Board
Problems falling asleep when you are first starting out are NOT uncommon. It may help start by practicing wearing the mask with the air pressure on during the day while watching TV, reading or even taking a nap to get accustomed wearing it during the night. Taking the mask off and not putting it back on so you can get some sleep is not a good habit as it delay getting acclimatized with the therapy and could be a beginning of a slippery slope that ends with throwing the PAP in the closet. Its easy said than done but you need to find out whats the problem that you,re having taking the mask off, mask too tight, pressure, leaks etc... Just like anything else starting out is not without any problems but can be work it out. Start by calling your provider and the doc ...They,re there to help you with any issues and to be compliant with the therapy for your own wellbeing NOT just for the insurance. which F&P machine are you using?

Tips for new PAP users
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

http://sleepapnea.com/sleep_patients/new...e_FAQ.aspx
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi janda1976, First, WELCOME! to the forum.! You have gotten GREAT suggestions so far, keep checking back for more. I would say just don't give up. You have only had your machine for a short time and CPAP therapy can take LOTS OF TIME AND PATIENCE. Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-27-2012, 08:41 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi janda1976, First, WELCOME! to the forum.! You have gotten GREAT suggestions so far, keep checking back for more. I would say just don't give up. You have only had your machine for a short time and CPAP therapy can take LOTS OF TIME AND PATIENCE. Best of luck to you.

Hi janda: Welcome aboard. I concur with what Trish has said. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Janda Welcome
First I want to say that I hate the term "compliant". Am I "compliant" with my blood pressure medicine? Please! It sounds so invasive and prosecutorial! Stop worrying about the insurance company. You don't need to worry about 4 hours per night because your goal should be to wear it every time you sleep for the entire time you sleep. The goal of this therapy is to make you feel better, improve your health and minimize the damage being done to your body by sleeping with untreated OSA! Unfortunately, those ins companies can be a pain (you know where!). Just keep plugging along with it and you will find that you left compliance behind a long time ago! You've only had it 2 weeks. Relax!
I agree with Zonk, try sitting down for awhile each day with the machine on and read a bit or listen to some nice music or something. By the way, this will add to the hours the ins folks want! LOL! I have awakened with mask in hand many times. I am an active sleeper so that happens, but it has not happened in quite awhile. You do get used to the mask after a bit and you then become less likely to remove it. However, the biggest stumbling block is worrying and stressing over it. Just relax and realize it is perfectly normal. Over time, you will get used to it and not do it anymore. When you wake up with a mask in your hand, calmly put it back on and go back to sleep, or if it is time to get up, just get up. But stress won't help you at all. Good luck with your therapy!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.