Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

aerophagia
aerophagia
I believe my nausea/bloating is being caused by aerophagia.  Are there any individual statistics on OSCAR that would indicate that aerophagia is taking place?  I have tried the somnifix in the past, not my favorite, but if mouth breathing is the cause, I will try it again.  I use the Airfit N20 mask now.

Thanks much for any input.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: aerophagia
I'm not aware of anything showing up on OSCAR, with regard to aerophagia.

Have you searched this forum for helpful ideas on eliminating aerophagia? I have experimented with some of the ideas, and it has really helped my decrease my aerophagia symptoms. Specifically, keeping my upper back, neck, & head higher than my lungs has helped a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good Morning  Coffee

I am by no means an expert, but I had it really bad. Here are some things that may help that have helped me, certainly with the great advice on this forum:

-I raised the front of my bed by 1-2 inches

-Keep cpap pressure effective but comfortable including EPR. 

-Don't eat before bed. 

-Watch out for gassy foods during the day too and don't indulge too much on those :-) 

Right now I am starting at 9 with no ramp and highest is 12 with EPR at 3. I am sure things will adjust and change over time depending on my results but I almost have no aerophagia and these things have really helped me!
Post Reply Post Reply
Please post your screenshot. We need to see your settings and how you are doing thru the night.

The goal is to reduce your average pressure to below where your Aerophagia occurs. Even if it's below your optimism therapeutic settings

Work back up after a while
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply!  I put a foam wedge on the bed last night while wearing the somnifix on my mouth, seemed to help.  I will search further!
Deborah

Thanks so much for your reply!  I will try these!
Deborah
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks for your reply; have attached screenshots.  Hope I captured enough info.
Deborah
Post Reply Post Reply
Aerophagia is often caused by high pressure but your pressures are pretty much as low as they can go.

You could try increasing pressure minorly (min pressure to 6 cm). This will increase your effective EPR which may make exhalation more efficient and reduce aerophagia. Worth a try, if it makes things worse then can always switch back.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply! Will try it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it was mentioned, but a slight head of the bed incline can help. It did for me when first starting on PAP. I've also done some left side sleeping to combat the aerophagia.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply!  The wedge does seem to help as well as the somnifix mouth strips.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 606 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,652 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 11 525 02-19-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] UARS with Aerophagia and a High Leak Rate, what next? Adam0410 9 409 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 216 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Ohmy Aerophagia is making me lose my mind urachan 9 850 01-01-2024, 05:01 AM
Last Post: airwaystent
  EPR, Central Apnea, and Aerophagia rpierce 23 2,308 11-12-2023, 12:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.