Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

affects of fluid in eustation tubes and ears affecting AHI
affects of fluid in eustation tubes and ears affecting AHI
I have been using cpap for several years.  My therapy worked well and results averaged about 0.25 AHI for a very long period.  I had covid in February and my therapy results changed.  My AHI climbed to about 0.80 which is still very good.  My question, before and after covid, my eustation tubes and ears have been full of fluid and have been for about three months (did have a sinus infection, but antibiotics cleared the infection).  

I have not been worried about the climb in AHI, but wondering about how my eustation tubes and fluid in my ears effect breathing and AHI.  I have had sinus problems before, however not since starting cpap.  In fact I thought the positive pressure of the machine helped keep everything clear.

Just wondering if there could be a relationship of increased AHI due to sinus conditions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: affects of fluid in eustation tubes and ears affecting AHI
It's possible that if you have inflammation in the ears it could extend to the throat or affect your breathing. If you have a persistent feeling of fluid in your ears, your doctor may be able to prescribe some relief or rule out a low-level infection.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeprider,

Forgot to mention that I have had chronic sinus problems and had corrective surgery when young.  When young and as an adult had pressure tubes in my eardrums.  I am thinking that I may have to get them again; as it is not fun to have your head clogged up.  Just wondering about the mechanics of the ears could affect AHI.  If when my ears clear up and if my AHI goes down, I will have an answer Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
I also had tympanostomy tubes as a child due to chronic ear infections. The problem went away after tonsillectomy. I really can't answer your questions, but do discuss your CPAP therapy before getting tubes again, and the pressure equalization may be an issue. This might be a good read:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full...lary.26752
https://www.enttoday.org/article/middle-...ssure-use/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28498266/
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have eustachian tube dysfunction, and have all my life. Fluid build up behind the ear drum due to blocked eustachian tube can take a long time to clear. Months, possibly. However, the upside is that this isn't a dangerous condition, although it's terribly annoying (I'm a musician.) Taking sudafed or chlortrimoton (sp) is a good bet--but if you have heart arrhythmia, this is not something you can do. The drugs mentioned can help to open eustachian tubes.

and then: Fluticasone, a nasal spray steroid, can help. For allergies. using a neti pot can help. However, I haven't found that helps with closed up eustachian tubes.

With allergy season upon us, you might want to take more steps to address this. But it sounds as if this is a new, one off condition? I hope so.

I can't see how this condition would affect your sleep therapy. do you notice that your ears pop and your hearing improves when you put on your mask? that's the eusatachian tubes opening. BUT: when mine are really blocked, this doesn't happen.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Poor sleep quality and how it affects you p123 6 876 02-01-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: glenncol
  Tubes still wet from cleaning, can I use them? hejohoo 2 913 08-29-2023, 01:18 AM
Last Post: jwest
  Questions about CPAP tubes GoodSleepHunting 2 642 08-26-2023, 02:38 AM
Last Post: jwest
  Good brush for cleaning the tubes that connect mask and cpap? hejohoo 8 774 08-25-2023, 02:23 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Pressure in ears corgan115 3 483 04-03-2023, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Bluesv6
  [CPAP] Racing heart beat and ringing in ears. Kelseyharry7557 3 567 02-17-2023, 06:52 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Ears popping from full face mask arborgent 0 391 01-20-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: arborgent

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.