Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

any advice on having the flu and using cpap?
RE: any advice on having the flu and using cpap?
(05-10-2012, 06:45 AM)Ulrika Wrote: I just read:

It is best not use PAP when you have a cold or sinus infection to avoid problems of blocked ear canals and headaches. Sometimes the congestion remains in the ears and sinuses after the acute symptoms of the cold are gone.

I don't know where you read this, but based on my knowledge and experience, I have to say this is a very bad idea!

My sleep doc is also my ENT doc. I'm sure that he would not advise this.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know where you read this, but based on my knowledge and experience, I have to say this is a very bad idea!

My sleep doc is also my ENT doc. I'm sure that he would not advise this.

Here is the link where I read this:
http://www.sleepapnea.org/diagnosis-and-...h-pap.html
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, but there's a lot of "can" and "possibly".

I have pretty bad seasonal allergies. And in the late fall, I had really bad case of bronchitis/pneumonia. Using my CPAP at night was great because it helped keep me clear. I didn't mind napping, which my body needed.

It could also be that the stuffed up ears is just part of the flu and will clear up on its own. If it continues or really bothers you, see a doctor.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2012, 11:54 PM)Ulrika Wrote: Here is the link where I read this:

In that article they do advise avoiding PAP therapy when you have a cold or sinus infection to avoid problems of blocked ear canals and headaches.

In my opinion that's taken out of context, though. My interpretation of that article is that if a person is experiencing headaches and blocked ear canals as a result of a sinus infection or cold, then they're advising that PAP therapy should be avoided.

I'd be taking decongenstants and seeing a doctor first, though, if it were me. Good sleep is essential when fighting a cold or sinus infection. Avoiding CPAP therapy would be a last resort for me, and then only on the advice of a doctor.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never had a sinus infection with or without CPAP but if it happen than would not be using my S9 till the infection is cleared bc CPAP can drive the infection further and complicate things.
I think this calls attention to the importance of cleaning and replacing equipments to keep as much bacteria out of CPAP as possible.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 44 1,831 8 hours ago
Last Post: akarifur
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 304 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 181 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 874 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 145 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 804 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.