Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

anyone improved without fancy machines?
anyone improved without fancy machines?
Am I naive to think that it is possible to treat sleep apnea without resorting to CPAP, etc?
I am the archetypal lifelong mouth breather - crooked teeth, TMJ pains, severe bruxism, overbite, stuffed nose, sleep apnea,
sleeping in supine position, etc - to the point where neurological (auto immune?) deterioration is taking place (very scary).
My father died of dementia which I attribute in part to years of snoring. I don't snore btw, according to my wife.

I want to try a simple combination - mouth taping at night (borrowed from Byteuko's system for breathing),
and wearing a neck collar while sleeping. May also add nose strips that pull skin above nostrils up to open the airways.
As you see, nothing fancy.
Is this enough to attack sleep apnea or am I delusional?
What can CPAP/(what have you) do that the above simple things can't?
Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: anyone improved without fancy machines?
Splint open the airway.
Improve your air exchange.
Minimize hypopneas, flow limits, RERAs, UARS.
Help you to initiate a breath

If you have Central Apnea, eliminate it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since we don't know what type or how severe the apnea you have or might have, bonjour's answer pretty much covers it. You can't address CA as mentioned. In that case, an ASV machine is your only answer. Central Apnea, CA means you just stop breathing for 10 or more seconds during your sleep. Not the same as Obstructive Apnea, the common kind. The airway is still open, so tape can't help then. You also cannot reasonably splint the throat airway without air pressure from CPAP. So unfortunately, your options are few. Check with the doc if you are concerned about having Apnea, and I speculate you are concerned or you'd not have posted here nor have a plan to combat them.

So again, check in with your doctor and explain your concerns. You will have to submit to a sleep study of some sort to create the data that tells you that apnea is or is not an issue.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't want to hijack this thread BUT has anyone tried VOODO dolls.  I heard that worked.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Take some time to watch this short video.  This will explain a little better on what you are actually dealing with and why your "nothing fancy, simple things" can't splint the airway open or treat Sleep Apnea.

The damage that untreated Sleep Apnea will have on your health and body isn't worth playing around with.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...leep_apnea
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 76 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 678 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 501 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 596 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines britincanada 505 83,183 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,023 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  TMJD improved by CPAP? squeakybeans 2 363 10-14-2023, 09:09 PM
Last Post: squeakybeans

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.