Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

apnea and nightmares
RE: apnea and nightmares
"The Nightmares of Sleep Apnea: Nightmare Frequency Declines with Increasing Apnea Hypopnea Index" (2010) in "Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine" concludes sleep apnea (OSA, measured by AHI) suppresses nightmare recall. This would suggest that effective OSA treatment would tend to greater recollection of nightmares.

This paper is freely available online from the journal site as well as nih.gov. An internet search easily finds it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: apnea and nightmares
Eleonoro, it is not the cpap that is causing your nightmares; quite the opposite. You write that you suffer from Schizophrenia and that you're taking medications for that. This is a tough condition to have, for sure. I feel for you. Combine that with sleep apnea, and it's only worse.

As you know, Schizophrenia on its own can cause nightmares and daytime delusions. Medications are a good thing; they can help with the more severe symptoms quite a lot. It's always better to suffer less! So taking medications is wise. I understand that meds can have their own side effects. I'm not sure if they contribute to your nightmares. Your doctor seems to think not? In any case, I'm certain that overall, you're in better condition and happier and suffer much less with the meds than without. I've had some experience with this.

In any case, using cpap can only help! Having a better night's sleep, at least from time to time, will make you feel better for sure. Keep using the cpap; it's really your friend in all this. Everyone here is happy to have this therapy. I certainly sleep much better with it than without. Sleep is a good thing! I feel much better using cpap.

I wish you good dreams.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,392 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Obstructive sleep apnea – My Nightmares are bad. Pirate Bob 11 1,342 02-14-2022, 03:57 AM
Last Post: Pirate Bob
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,584 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Nightmares Chalkie 5 753 08-04-2021, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Cpapian
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,848 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.