Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

apneamon - Therapy Thread
RE: Need help optimizing pressure
I've never experienced a deviated septum, but assume you should be fine with the full face mask.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to loosen up the mask after my first awakening. Seems like it increased leaks. I didn't notice any hissing sounds. 

Also had aerophagia last night.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2022, 12:41 PM)OpalRose Wrote: I've never experienced a deviated septum, but assume you should be fine with the full face mask.
Left an update above for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your numbers look good.  Some leaks, but not bad at all.  Have you read through the mask primer.  You might find some ideas on mask fit, but most important is that it's comfortable.  

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

I hope the Aerophagia isn't too bad.  You're probably mouth breathing and swallowing air.  Are you able to sleep slightly elevated?  It might help.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2022, 05:37 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Your numbers look good.  Some leaks, but not bad at all.  Have you read through the mask primer.  You might find some ideas on mask fit, but most important is that it's comfortable.  

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

I hope the Aerophagia isn't too bad.  You're probably mouth breathing and swallowing air.  Are you able to sleep slightly elevated?  It might help.

Will check it out. The mask fit I'm sure I can figure out with some more nights. I'm more worried about 1. the pressure being right. Despite what the chart shows I'm definitely not sleeping any better than I was without CPAP. Lotta fragmentations and still have all the symptoms. 2. Aerophagia was definitely bad. I can try sleep elevated but not sure how that would help. From what I've read it seems like aerophagia is usually a pressure issue. Too much or too less.
Post Reply Post Reply
What most folk do is use a lower pressure. But there is usually a trade off between lessening Aerophagia or an increase in apneas. You'll have to decide what you can live with.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Need help optimizing
So I got some help earlier on in this forum and though the events have gone down in OSCAR I still have sleep fragmentation like before. My sleep study showed that I had AHI 2 and RDI 16. Does OSCAR flag RERA events? My sleep technician said the drop in oxygen was very subtle before arousals.

Attached image for what my OSCAR data usually looks like. Not much leaks, not many events but sleep still sucks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: apneamon - Therapy Thread
You haven't responded for awhile... how is the Aerophagia? If you're still having a problem with it, then try using a lower pressure.

What is the lowest pressure you've used without experiencing Aerophagia? Go back to that and start titrating slowly upward to see where the problem is.

There isn't anything on your charts that I can see that explains your fragmented sleep.

You can post a 2 - 3 minute segment of the flow rate graph. Someone might see something of significance. There is some steady Flow Limitation, but not sure if that is causing fragmented sleep.

BTW, I combined your threads so that your history is in one place.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
>>> Does OSCAR flag RERA events?

There is a setting in File->Preferences:CPAP tab on the top right: Preferred major event index which defaults to AHI but can be changed to RDI.

RDI will only show up if your machine can report them; my early AS10 cannot, I expect that the AS11 can, as it was added to later AS10 software.

Please report back if you change that report index so that we have confirmation of RDI detection. - Thanks
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2022, 06:05 PM)OpalRose Wrote: You haven't responded for awhile... how is the Aerophagia?  If you're still having a problem with it, then try using a lower pressure.  

What is the lowest pressure you've used without experiencing Aerophagia?  Go back to that and start titrating slowly upward to see where the problem is.  

There isn't anything on your charts that I can see that explains your fragmented sleep.

You can post a 2 - 3 minute segment of the flow rate graph.  Someone might see something of significance.  There is some steady Flow Limitation, but not sure if that is causing fragmented sleep.

BTW, I combined your threads so that your history is in one place.

Sorry I actually ended up getting some nasal surgeries 2 months ago and stopped using CPAP for a bit. I still haven't started properly but wanted to start getting some more feedback on why I'm experiencing the same type of sleep even with OSCAR showing no events. Do we know that OSCAR is perfect with catching events? 

Highest pressure without aerophagia is 7-8. 

When you say to post a 2-3 minute segment of the flow rate graph you mean to record screen zoomed in and go through the flow rate slowly start to finish?

(12-31-2022, 06:26 PM)pholynyk Wrote: >>> Does OSCAR flag RERA events?

There is a setting in File->Preferences:CPAP tab on the top right: Preferred major event index which defaults to AHI but can be changed to RDI.

RDI will only show up if your machine can report them; my early AS10 cannot, I expect that the AS11 can, as it was added to later AS10 software.

Please report back if you change that report index so that we have confirmation of RDI detection. - Thanks

Nice, thanks. Seems like same RDI as AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 68 1,257 2 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 56 868 Yesterday, 02:05 PM
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 37 1,065 04-16-2024, 06:00 PM
  liebano - Therapy Analysis liebano 17 582 04-16-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: liebano
  johnathanb76 - Therapy Help In Migrating to a Resmed johnathanb76 27 484 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 544 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 815 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.