Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

back sleeping now due to disc and shoulder pain
RE: back sleeping now due to disc and shoulder pain
I sleep on my back nearly all the time now after months of side sleeping. Neither one affected by AHI, which is always less than 1.

OP, if you are in the need of a new bed or are willing to spend some money on what could be very helpful, you may want to consider getting a "Zero-G" adjustable frame and a new mattress if needed. "Zero-G" is the newest thing on the market for both beds and high-end chairs (or inexpensive outdoor chairs) and nearly all mattress sellers can offer a Zero-G frame. If your mattress is fine, then a new frame may be all you need to upgrade. Zero-G frames are fine with any standard mattress (I do not know about Sleep Number Mattresses).

Zero-G technology was developed by NASA for a new design of the chairs that the Shuttle astronauts used to help more evenly distribute the pressure on their bodies experienced during launch and reentry. Like many things developed by NASA, the Zero-G chairs moved to the consumer market for both chairs and beds.

My wife and I both suffer from back pain, me from DDD, my wife from other issues. About three months ago we decided that our 12-year-old mattress needed replacing. Our first stop at a mattress store was the first and the last store visited. We knew we needed a new mattress but had never heard of the Zero-G adjustable frame. We decided to buy both and went for a Zero-G frame instead of a standard adjustable frame (which we have had for years).

The first night on the new bed we both woke up with back aches, but I had forgotten to set the frame to the Zero-G setting, just set the frame to our usual setting (elevated head only). The next night I set it for Zero-G (just push a preprogrammed button on the remote control) and neither of us had backaches the next morning. Now we set the frame for Zero-G every night and have not had the same pains that we experienced in the past.

Zero-G beds work by more evenly spreading pressure points on your back, nearly all pressure points are eliminated. You can easily find information on how Zero-G works just by searching. As mentioned, all bed/frame manufacturers sell them now.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have 1/2 my neck fused together, shoulder and knee arthritis and lower back problems. I constantly rotate from one side to my back to my other side to get somewhat comfortable just for a while before I rotate again. 

If you constantly sleep on your back you have to adjust your mask for that position. Since you are a mouth breather have you tried a full face mask? I am also a mouth breather and I have successfully used Resmed F20 full face mask and now I am using the F30 hybrid with great comfort and results.

I do take daily  anti inflammatories  and other pain medication. When I have to stop using it I feel worse.

What is the doctor saying about your neck? Physical therapy did not help me and I ended up with 2 surgeries. I am much better now.

I also tried 4 different pillows before I found one that I like. Pillows are like masks, what works for me may not work for you.

Don't chase after good numbers on Oscar. Judge your results by how you feel.

car54
Post Reply Post Reply
When I read the thread title I thought to myself "I don't remember posting about my shoulder and back issues" ..  Thinking-about Too-funny

I still sleep on my side, and use the F&P Eson nose mask.

The rolled up towel test would be to roll it like a sausage and lay it across your neck below your chin.. it should stay in place reasonably well at the ends of the towel will hang down to sit on the bed above your shoulders. 

If that works, your idea of a neck cushion as used when flying may work.. as long as you wear it "backwards" and don't have any of it sitting behind your neck. 

You can also train yourself to not be a mouth breather.
It involves holding liquid in your mouth for a period of time while breathing in and out - you can practice while drinking tea/coffee/beer/water, or whatever else you drink.
If you do a search on the forum you will find numerous threads and post comments regarding the technique, and how to train yourself to do it.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
- figure out why the mask is not fitting with you on your back.

- consider upping your pressure to compensate for sleeping on your back.

- don't wear a collar of any sort without first showing it and discussing it with your PT.

- are you on any new medications? Some medications can cause sleep apnea events to worsen. Some just for a short while until your body adjusts.

- consider elevating the head of your bed. The frame itself, not the mattress. This will help you fight gravity as you back sleep
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I decided that I needed to do something for my neck and shoulder. If I can figure out how to do it, I would attach OSCAR data.

May 26 and July 19 clearly show a higher AHI. July 11 I started on my back and a couple hours later concluded that I can’t fall asleep on my back without ambien. For July 19, I thought that I would increase the pressure then use the ambien until I was accustomed to sleeping on my back. I took 10mg 7/19 and 5mg 7/20. I slept through the night 7/19, but was awake at 2 am the next night. So I switched to my side. The detail for 7/20 shows a high AHI when on my back and a lower one while on my side.
Post Reply Post Reply

[attachment=13734 Wrote:RNeil pid='303603' dateline='1563717261']I decided that I needed to do something for my neck and shoulder. If I can figure out how to do it, I would attach OSCAR data.

May 26 and July 19 clearly show a higher AHI. July 11 I started on my back and a couple hours later concluded that I can’t fall asleep on my back without ambien. For July 19, I thought that I would increase the pressure then use the ambien until I was accustomed to sleeping on my back. I took 10mg 7/19 and 5mg 7/20. I slept through the night 7/19, but was awake at 2 am the next night. So I switched to my side. The detail for 7/20 shows a high AHI when on my back and a lower one while on my side.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2019, 02:03 PM)RNeil Wrote:
(07-21-2019, 08:54 AM)RNeil Wrote: I decided that I needed to do something for my neck and shoulder. If I can figure out how to do it, I would attach OSCAR data.

I do internet forums like a grandfather.

Post Reply Post Reply
It looks like to allow for back sleeping you need a higher minimum pressure I would suggest you try 1 cm more of 8 initially but you may need a minimum of 9 to keep your events low, it seems the F&P is not responding rapidly enough to prevent you Hypopnea and Obstructive apnoea when sleeping on your back
Post Reply Post Reply
I now have a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. I think it is better than the F&P for sleeping on my back.

Now I re-read Jaswilliams' advice I see that I read it wrong in July. He said increase minimum pressure, but I increased maximum pressure. I will try again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,953 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 804 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 247 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 514 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.