Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

best high pressure mask for no leaks
RE: best high pressure mask for no leaks
This is a several months old post, but I wanted to pass on info I recently learned that helped me end my leaking, squealing mask situation. I use a Resmed Mirage FX nasal mask at 11-15 cm pressure. For me, it is an excellent mask in most ways.  But It often woke me with horrible squealing -- about as loud as a clarinet.  

The cure was to replace the mask-cushion on a very short schedule, even if I can't see anything wrong with it.  Despite proper daily cleaning, the mask-cushion degrades in a way that is not easily seen.  It's mechanical properties change, and it becomes a "screamer."  Tightening the headset straps is not a cure.  That just shortens the life of the headset. I read all this in an online Resmed paper (sorry, I don't have a link).  It said to replace the mask cushion up to twice a month.  I also learned that medicare reimburses for up to 2 nasal mask-cushions per month. 

I was able to convince my DME to send me 6 cushions every three months.  A copy of Medicare's recommended replacement schedule helped.   

I'm on my fourth mask so far with nary a single squeal in the last almost-2 months.   My wife thanked me for losing the clarinet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the follow-up Jerry. I also replace nasal cushions frequently and have insurance that makes that essentially free. Unfortunately many members don't have the financial resources to make that possible due to poor coverage or high copay.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2019, 12:41 PM)JerryG Wrote: This is a several months old post, but I wanted to pass on info I recently learned that helped me end my leaking, squealing mask situation. I use a Resmed Mirage FX nasal mask at 11-15 cm pressure. For me, it is an excellent mask in most ways.  But It often woke me with horrible squealing -- about as loud as a clarinet.  

The cure was to replace the mask-cushion on a very short schedule, even if I can't see anything wrong with it.  Despite proper daily cleaning, the mask-cushion degrades in a way that is not easily seen.  It's mechanical properties change, and it becomes a "screamer."  Tightening the headset straps is not a cure.  That just shortens the life of the headset. I read all this in an online Resmed paper (sorry, I don't have a link).  It said to replace the mask cushion up to twice a month.  I also learned that medicare reimburses for up to 2 nasal mask-cushions per month. 

I was able to convince my DME to send me 6 cushions every three months.  A copy of Medicare's recommended replacement schedule helped.   

I'm on my fourth mask so far with nary a single squeal in the last almost-2 months.   My wife thanked me for losing the clarinet.

This is wonderful information.

I had similar findings with a ResMed N20 mask.

I replaced my mask with an identical mask after about 7 months of use. My old mask looked fine.
the mask insert looked fine. So did the headgear.

The new mask worked wonders. Numbers were where I wanted them to be.

on examination, the texture of the insert was different than the new one. the head gear of the old one was stretched--a lot!

my conclusion.  I have to replace my masks more often than I used to.  Observation? new masks are better than they used to be. But they don't last me as long.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 299 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  [Pressure] High pressure Tomarovsch 1 112 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 445 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 136 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 364 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 182 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 174 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.